IGNORED

Am I in the wrong?

Sideoftheroad

I've had my problems with Verizon customer service also. I just hate it when I have to deal with them for any reason. I travel a LOT though and know from experience that they have the absolute best cellular coverage in the USA. I've tried a couple of others over the years, including AT&T, but there were just way too many times when I didn't have a signal when I traveled. Even here at the house, AT&T signal is hit and miss. So...I just stay with Verizon for now and hope I don't have a problem that requires talking to them. We had our land lines taken out about 2 years ago except for the DSL. We use cellular phones exclusively for voice. You do not have to have a voice land line in order to have DSL.

Freebird, that is one thing I will agree, the Verizon signal was indeed better than AT&T. We had no problem with a signal inside our place with Verizon but no signal inside with AT&T with many other carriers. Unfortunately it has the name Verizon and ever since this spring with that EXTREMELY rude technician who was very rude to my wife I ABSOLUTELY will have nothing to do with anything with the name Verizon...

Guest seuadr

just wanted to toss out there if you are considering an VoIP like vonage, give magic jack a chance. it does have a few limitations, but it works pretty darn good for the cost.

the limitations, as i see it are:

you have to leave a computer on to recieve calls. this doesn't mean your voicemail doesn't work, but if the computer isn't on, it doesn't ring through.

sometimes call quality suffers. occasionally, someone i am talking to will say it sounds like i hit a phone button. pretty small problems, though.

we bought the magic jack for 29 dollars, and it came with a free year of service which is 19 dollars.

now,

on to the phone discussion:

i don't think you are in the wrong. i also agree with others here, that if you phone line worked perfectly fine before you disconnected it, there is a really good chance it has NOTHING to do with inside wiring. My guess is this situation is alot like in hvac when you don't know whats wrong.. alot of guys, instead of saying " look, i'm not sure whats wrong, but i will find out " just add more freon and call it good. just my :2cents:

I HATE VERIZON!!!!!!

Told them what they could do with it a couple of years ago. Had similar problems. Moved into my present home and wanted second phone line for computer (dialup). Waited 3 months and payed $175.00 for a second line because the their box did not have enough capacity. Finally got it and it worked fine. Connected at 46 to 48K most of the time. After 6 months someon else needed another line and they came and reworked everything. My connection speed dropped to 24K. Called customer service and they said only guarntee phone service, not computer. Told them I payed $175.00 for the second line and they screwed it up and wanted it fixed or my money back. They said too bad. I had them kill the second line.

A couple of years ago had problem with phone, quit working whenever we had storms. They would come fixit and it would do it again. They finally got tired of coming out and replaced the main box on the house. Worked good for a while. Came home one day and phone would not work. They came out and fixed it. Said it was in the wiring. 2 weeks later it quit again. They came out and fixed again. Said it was in the wiring. Told me it was under the house and would have to charge me to fix it the next time. I said I have paid for the inhouse maintenace and should be covered. Called and talked to 4 different people at Verizon and they all said they did not cover lines under the house, in the attack, etc. Apparently if they can't easily get to it they won't fixit. I told the last STUPERVISOR I talk to where he could put it and disconnect my phone right then.

I have removed all the lines from my house back to the main box outside and use cell phone. Went without internet at home till last summer when wireless finally became available in my area (live in a small town).

Apparently customer service means nothing to them.