IGNORED

Who has made the switch?

Bubbajbi

I have ridden a 99' Venture for the past two years and just recently sold it. I had no complaints about the bike, I just decided that I wanted that "wind-in-the-face" feeling back that I had on my last bike. However, I also want a bike that can do the long haul trips that I like to take occasionally. I am looking at the Tour Deluxe becuase it seems to fit my needs for a cruiser/touring bike (and fit my budget). Having only test-ridden one a few years back, I was wondering if anyone else on this site has made this switch and if you had any input for me?

I know to look for the obvious things (clutch whine, lower faring cracks, leaky rear shock, ect) but I would like some feedback from those who have acutally taken the plunge.

Thanks,

Bubba

:fingers-crossed-emo

Great bike. The shield cuts the wind pretty good but in cold weather - your hands get a lot of wind (Down here, I ride pretty much year round - so long as it's been above freezing all night). You will probably miss the tunes. Am working on a street glide fairing with a 8inch shield. Still get good air and will be installing the stereo. It helped cut a lot of the wind off of my hands.

As far as downfalls - I really don't know of any. your not saving much weight with a TD (they are only listed about 30 or 50lbs lighter than a venture.) Seat is not as comfy. Pillion is hard. We switched to Mustang and the wife likes it a whole lot better. I like the backrest on the driver seat.

I may have removed the shield twice - I rarely just cruise around town and at 45mph the wind starts feeling like it is really pushing you at 80 it makes my neck hurt. I don't know how these people enjoy themselves without a windshield but - it's up to them.

Has the same rear brake wear as the venture (inside wears first)

Front plugs are still a trick to get to.

pretty much the same bike without the fairing and trunk.

Oh yeah - the bars. they are a lot wider on the TD. I like that. The ventures always make me feel squeezed in. These are very comfy for me.

If I can think of anything else, I will edit.

Surprises the punch out of them Harley guys if you can keep the pipes quiet long enough.

Maybe the venture switchers will chime in.

I made that switch from an 86VR to an 05 RSTD for that exact reason and love it. Around here, the windshield is usually off and to put on 500 miles a day with the windshield on is a great bike to do it on. I ride one up, and have the bike set up that way, so everything just packed on the back for traveling/camping. No problem

You will love it,

Steve

I traded my 99 Venture back in 2003 for a Kaw Nomad. I also grew tired of the full fairing. I'm happy with the Kaw but may go for an RSTD when replacement time comes. Or I may get another Nomad. The Venture was great for long haul riding, even more so than the Nomad. I've thought about gettting another Venture but now that hot weather is here I don't even like the windshield on my Vulcan. I don't think I'll ever go back to a faired bike unless I also have another for hot weather.

The windshield removal is a 30 second operation. Yamaha did a good job of that.

The seat on my new 08 seems to have thicker padding than some of the earlier RSTD's, maybe its the luck of the draw? I think I've heard someone else comment that Yamaha might have added more seat padding on the latest RSTD's. Plenty of room to load gear for a 1-up camping trip.

I made the switch from eat’n bugs on a custom Harley to a fully dressed Yamaha XS-1100 back in 81 and I ain’t going back to being a bug eater. I get enough wind in the face, bungee cords, rocks and bugs when we load up the ATV’s.

But to each their own. If you like wind in your face, along with bugs, rocks, & rain, and the lack of creature comforts, then by all means make yourself happy with a stripped down bike.:thumbsup2:

I must admit that most of those stripped down bikes look really fine sitting on the showroom floor, but that style of riding isn’t for me. :Venture:

Thanks for all of the feedback. I recently borrowed a friend's road king and really enjoyed riding it but it felt small compaired to the Royal star. His had ape hangers and no windshield. I enjoyed riding it with the wind in my face and would only use a windshield for long freeway rides. I was also wondering if anyone had put ape hangers on a RSTD. I would like to do that to but would probably have it done at a dealership due to the extensive wiring.

Well i went from the sport tour world to the TD...ONLY two complaints: Brakes and Powers. I know most here feel that the RS is a rocket, but i have to beg the differ. But then again, it's apples and oranges, but then that's why i made the change...i was ready to slow down and smell the roses a bit.

As for mods...K&N air filter, pipes, Avon Whitewalls, Corbin saddle, bat wing fairing and a little chrome bling-bling here and there. Other than that i just ride her. I bought her as the second owner with 13K some two years ago and I believe that we just rolled 28K last month. Trigger is a little clumsy in town, but a real treat out on the open road. I'll be keeping her for number of years to come.

good luck