IGNORED

Need advice on potential repair

I have a 1992 Venture Royale that has 85k miles. It has a "knock" when idling that appears to be a rod on the left rear cylinder. My question is whether this is a project worth undertaking or should I part out the bike? Has anyone torn down a motor. What is the estimated cost if I do the work myself? Thanks for your comments.

Does the sound change when you pull in the clutch? If it does then pull your side cover off to expose the clutch basket. Then grab hold and see if it moves up and down. You might have a bad, or at least worn shaft bearing. It's behind the basket and the case has to be split to change.

Mine has done it for 20k miles. :thumbdown:

FYI. Last year I thought I had damaged my bottom end. Of my engine that is! I swapped out the engine and after about a half tank, I started hearing that noise again. I turned out to be the exhaust collector. Opened it up and tore out the loose baffle and the rest of the innards, welded it back together. No more noise. If ya gotta take the engine out, you gotta take the collector off anyway. I would inspect that just to make sure it isn't what's making the noise.:2cents:

I have heard knocking noises on one Venture that the choke linkage(left-right) had popped off and only running on choke on th eleft bank when cold. What a racket. Noise disappeared once warmed up. Easy fix on that one with a "c-clip". Also a clogged carb can give rattles due to running on a dead cylinder.

Thanks for the tips. I will be trying all three at the first opportunity. I already know that the baffles are loose, but the noise just didn't sound right for that. However, you are right, no harm in trying that first. This is a retired Police bike, so the clutch could be worn from excessive use. Maybe I will get lucky, and not have to split the case. I will post the results. This forum is great for gathering knowledge from several sources. Thanks again, and any other ideas would be appreciated.

Hey Vic,

I have a 60,000 mile 1300 VR motor with no problems you can have for $100.00 It's not the prettiest motor I have ever seen paint wise, but it is a good solid motor. You'll spend more than $100.00 :mo money:for gaskets if you split the cases on your motor.

Earl