IGNORED

Leveling LINKS installed..

Well folks I took the plunge and had ordered a buncha parts and tools, one of which were the Leveling Links from DR. The instructions didn't look complicated per se but they talked about remove a bunch of hoses from some contraption and silly enough it was a little intimidating to me..

However, once the bike was sky hooked and sitting stable, a quick looks showed how simple of a job this was going to be.. wow.

Pull two bolts, replace the old hardware with the new, grease stuff in the process and voila, Leveling Links installed.. Down she goes for a test ride.. and egads I almost dropped the bike LOL.. I say almost because the babe wanted to kiss that corner like there was NO tomorrow and she recovered sweetly like I had never seen her do before. wow.. what a difference!!

Ever do a tight turn and have that weird sensation that the front end was going to turn into itself and lock up, causing you to drop the bike? ( c'mon, I know you have lol) Well the leveling links basically got rid of that sensation and allows you to properly power out of that tight turn like the should do when properly handled..

I can hardly wait to let her loose on the MOST II course this week =)

Hesitating about doing the links? It's simple and well worth the expense and time/effort to install.. wow.

You can paint me as one satisfied customer!

I guess I'm about to find out as I just ordeered them along with some other stuff from DR...

Oh dood.. wowsers!! I rode the bike a lot last night after installing the leveling links and they are awesome.. today I had the steering neck tightened and that also helped tons towards improved handling and increased funs..

AWESOME!!

And yes, the links are that easy to install.. super easy..

Question not that I don't believe all the great comments about these leveling link but if there so great why hasn't Yamaha put them on as a standard part?

Jeff

Because the bendal torque rotor pumps were in the way at time of manufacturing when the banana peels fell off the quadrant sylibals..

Just a guess..

question not that i don't believe all the great comments about these leveling link but if there so great why hasn't yamaha put them on as a standard part?

Jeff

too busy with the 8 track cassette deck prototype.....maybe??

The links raise the rear of the bike a bit, thus improving handling. I get it. When I was messing with the rear shock air pressure, I crapped a brick when the back of the bike jolted up when I applied air to the shock. Luckily I only got it to 50psi.

So the question is, if pumping air into the shock raises the bike, does that have the same affect as changing the links?

The links raise the rear of the bike a bit, thus improving handling. I get it. When I was messing with the rear shock air pressure, I crapped a brick when the back of the bike jolted up when I applied air to the shock. Luckily I only got it to 50psi.

So the question is, if pumping air into the shock raises the bike, does that have the same affect as changing the links?

Yes, raising the rear from any method will change the trail and make the bike handle faster. But remember, even with the rear shock at max 57 lbs., it will squat some when you sit on it, hit bumps, and from cornering forces. And besides, you don't want to ride around on a rock all the time. Better to change the support struts and set the shock for the correct firmness to get the ride you want.

Goose

For those that a financial y challenged you can get neary the same "Rake Effect" by dropping stock front end 1 full inch and it cost your time and some tools. It is in Tech Library. Also helps with Inseam challenged too... LOL

Edited by frogmaster

Yes, raising the rear from any method will change the trail and make the bike handle faster. But remember, even with the rear shock at max 57 lbs., it will squat some when you sit on it, hit bumps, and from cornering forces. And besides, you don't want to ride around on a rock all the time. Better to change the support struts and set the shock for the correct firmness to get the ride you want.

Goose

THanks. I figured the ride would be hard but also hoped that a temporary increase in air pressure would simulate what the links would do before investing. Seems so.

thx again

THanks. I figured the ride would be hard but also hoped that a temporary increase in air pressure would simulate what the links would do before investing. Seems so.

thx again

Yes, it will simulate a little improvement, but it will not be near as much as changing the links.

Goose

• 1 year later...

Got the links, put them on and then removed then in short order. They made the bike too tall for me. I could barley get it off the kick stand, and then my feet wouldn't touch the ground. I just moved from the RSTD to The RSV. I haven't found much difference in the handling yet. I will probably wait before I try to lower the front. I am 5'7 and really haven't had a problem so far.:)

Yesterday, I made my own from a galvenized "L" shaped shelf bracket from lowes that was 1/4 THICK 1 1/4 WIDE AND 10" LONG.

Cut to size as per Freebirds instructions and drilled.

If you take a little weight off rear tire the two bolts will slip out without having to remove anything else.

i have a harbor freight jack(orange one)

The jack arms are 2"w x 13 1/2" long, It is perfect to raise my RSV if you cut a 13 1/2" L x 1 1/2" W x 1 1/2" H board out of a 2 x 4 and put it right beside the tang you would bolt a center stand to. The other side won't need anything.

I rode the bike today about 100 mile and she's a different Lady. Heck I'm thinking it handels better than my 650- V-star now...LOL

Edited by CaptainJoe