My 86 Venture Royale has been tuned up and the dealer balanced the carbs. It seems to accelerate very well but dies off quickly as it approaches 90 mph. The maximum speed is about 95 mph. I ran cleaner through the engine which improved the acceleration but still no top end. Can defective carburetor diaphragms allow the bike to run smoothly, accelerate well but have no top end?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

My 86 Venture Royale has been tuned up and the dealer balanced the carbs. It seems to accelerate very well but dies off quickly as it approaches 90 mph. The maximum speed is about 95 mph. I ran cleaner through the engine which improved the acceleration but still no top end. Can defective carburetor diaphragms allow the bike to run smoothly, accelerate well but have no top end?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Timing/Boost Sensor??

My 86 VR ran well with perforated diaphragms & put 15k miles on them.

Rust in tank knocked the carbs out, though.

My very bad diaphragms ran fine to around 90 mph and idled well....I just never pushed the old girl any faster than than 90 mph.

So, It certainly is possible that bad diaphragms will affect speeds over 90 mph.

This is not something that would concern me in the least.

My 86 VR ran well with perforated diaphragms & put 15k miles on them.

Rust in tank knocked the carbs out, though.

My very bad diaphragms ran fine to around 90 mph and idled well....I just never pushed the old girl any faster than than 90 mph.

So, It certainly is possible that bad diaphragms will affect speeds over 90 mph.

This is not something that would concern me in the least.

Hi,

i mostly agree with you.

But don't forget that the Mixture is lean. If you ride under these Circumstances a Lot, there is a fair Chance that your Plugs and/or one or more Pistons will be burned.

1. check carb linkage for opening all the way 2. carb diaphrams 3. fuel filter 4. fuel pump for volume 5. loose or clogged main jet (s). I had a 900 Kaw with a stone in main jet, it looked like a gas bubble was a clear stone.:stirthepot: