IGNORED

right saddlebag stuck shut

When I left Don's, I must have packed too much stuff in the bags, (well, OK, I know I did) and my right bag is VERY stuck shut. I can release the front latch, but not the back one. I have tried pushing, pulling and every form of violent acts to get it open short of destroying it.

My thought is somehow to take the hinge apart. it seems that there are two roll pins, front and back. I tried an easy out last night, but they didn't move. I called two dealers and talked with their parts and service guys, and the computer blowup didn't show the breakdown of the hinge. And the service depts, had never run into this problem.

I'm now thinking if we have a small enough aircraft drill bit here, I might try and drill out the roll pin. (I'm assuming that there is one)

Anyone run into this?

Steve

Same thing happened to me one time when a tire gauge got stuck in the rear latch. Took me 20 or 30 minutes of twisting, hooking fingers under the front edge and flexing the whole thing one way or another until the rear latch popped open. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Hey Steve, had the same thing happen to us last year on our trip out West. Way overloaded the bags. After Several attempts I was sure it would need to be drilled out. One last attempt I put pressure on the top of saddlebag with my knee and the wife applied pressure about where the latches are located, then by pushing the lid forward toward the bike, put in the key, locked and unlocked (while still applying pressure) and pushed in the button slowly and it released. Just what I did, may never work again, but hope it does for you. Later-

Steve,

Have had the same issue, and solved it with the same approach the others listed. Pressure on the top of the bag cover (seems to free up the latches), also pushed/pulled the top of the cover, pried the cover open, etc. It did end up working. I try to keep the latches very well lubed, as in my experience it doesn't take much to get them to sieze.

Hope it helps.

Bob

Thanks for the replys. I couldn't really believe that I was the only one this happened to. I'll sure give this lots more effort, but I'm waiting for my buddy to stop by so there are two extra hands pushing and pulling.

I'll let you all know how this works out.

Steve

Mine did the same thing last year. I tried to remove the hinge pins, but was causing more damage than any thing else. A friend stopped by, took out an old credit card and persuaded the latch to open. I even took it to a dealer in Idaho Falls and all they could do was look at it and wonder. Said they had never seen that happen.

The feeling I got was that my friend with the card had a bit more experience with the use of cards as keys than I truly wanted to know.

See my thread in the Watering Hole today. This just happened to me yesterday morning. Try to pry the back corner of the lid up and slide a piece of wood between it and the base. Then go fishing with your fingers, a coat hanger, or a long screw driver and try to relocate or remove the object that is jamming the hinge release lever.

I believe the roll pins go into a dead end hole rather than straight through. If you damage the shaft they are in while trying to drill them out, the replacements may not be as tight a fit.

Five different mechanical moves have to occur when you push down on that button before the lid levers release the lid. I would like to meet the engineer that designed this system and tell him / her what I think of their design and the lack of a back-up release option in case something goes wrong (see Murphy's Law).:soapbox:

Ok, the lid is open. I took my dremel with the tiny cutoff wheel and cut the roll pin between the hinge, and opened the lid. You'd never know.

Turns out the latch mechanism was bent in several places. Took it all apart and got everypart of it working like it should, and now it works like new. Of course lubed it up very well.

I got the pins out and tomorrow I'll replace them. Not a big deal.

That is the most over engineerd latch you can imagine. the idiot that designed it should have been fired somewhere around the turn of the century. and it wastes lots of space on top of it all.

Thanks for your ideas,

Steve

• 2 years later...

I dug this old thread up, because in dumping pics from my computer, I found these.

This is the tapered pin that is inside of the hinge. I tried to find one from Yamaha, and eve had the dealer call his rep. No Go---

You can see where I cut it in half with my dremel, and you can also see the taper.

I ended up finding a split pin that was exatly a tight slip fit and soaking both in locktight put the new split pin inside of the tapered yamaha pin. Then I let it sit on my workbench for several days to cure.

I put the hinge back together, and it is still working fine.

Steve

Just bought my new RSTD 2009 3 months ago. I immediately lost my master key and then bent my other key pressing very hard to try and open a jammed hardcase. Finally got it open using the press-down technique others have used. A lot of fiddling and diddling.

My local dealer can't seem to make me a usable key, either by copying the bent (now straightened) key or using the key code. He says they have lots of trouble with that particular type of key, and they seem to have trouble obtaining new blanks. I've been real careful with my loads ever since, and I hope to find a dealer who can make me a usable back-up key.

Just bought my new RSTD 2009 3 months ago. I immediately lost my master key and then bent my other key pressing very hard to try and open a jammed hardcase. Finally got it open using the press-down technique others have used. A lot of fiddling and diddling.

My local dealer can't seem to make me a usable key, either by copying the bent (now straightened) key or using the key code. He says they have lots of trouble with that particular type of key, and they seem to have trouble obtaining new blanks. I've been real careful with my loads ever since, and I hope to find a dealer who can make me a usable back-up key.

Ace hardware has no trouble making keys for me...:)