IGNORED

Carburetor Problems

davidmatt34

I have a 1983 Venture Royale. I believe that I have a stuck float on the front left carburetor. I tried a can of seafoam but no success. When I turn the bike over the fuel runs out a hose that is just below the tank. Anybody have any suggestions. Any help would be appreciated. Cant wait to get back on the Highway.

Had one stuck on my bike a couple of years ago just at the first of the riding season.

Sea foamed it, beat on it with a hammer and ran the crap out of it but to no avail.

Ended up taking the Carbs apart and hand cleaning them. Bummer job but I'm glad I did as there was quite a bit of crap in the bowls.

Good Luck,

BOO

Open each, drain one at a time, with about 1/2 can of Sea foam added to about 3 gallons of gas in tank, Key, to ON, pump should pump fuel thru each of the Carb bowl drain hoses. Small hose from bottom of each carb. ( Not the Vent hose from top of carb ) Valve to open drain, is a #2 phillips head screw, on side of each carb body.

Do this several times over a few days, the Float valve might clear up with the sea-foam cleaner. Also run engine several times a day.

Worth a try, before you pull them apart.

Hey David,

I have had good luck with the suggestion that GeorgeS made. I have attached a pic of one of the Carb. Caps. The red arrow is the Idle Mixture Screw and the yellow arrows are the Phillips Head Drain Screw and the Drain Vent hose. Sometimes, a pic to get you in the right area helps a lot. With a really good dose of Seafoam in the tank, crack the drain screw and let the fuel pump run the Seafoamed fuel thru the Carb. Bowl. Close off the Drain, let it set, do it again. I have seen this alot on the left side of the First Gen. VR's as this is the side the bike leans to while on the kickstand. It's worth a try before you go ripping the Carbs. off.

Earl

• 5 months later...

Hey Dave,

Welcome to the site, stick around, you may learn something and make a friend or two.

Two big things I would check would be Carb. Sync. and leakage where the mufflers connect to the header pipes. There is a member in your state that knows his stuff, V7Goose. he has more than one excellent thread about "popping" and backfiring from the exhausts on the 2nd Gens. Another error that is made is the running of High Test gas in these bikes. It's a no-no.

Unburned fuel is leaving the cylinder head thru the exhaust valve and traveling into the exhaust system where it combusts due to exhaust pipe heat and causes the "popping".

The object is to have ALL of the fuel combust INSIDE the combustion chamber of the cylinder head creating power to run the engine, anything else is wasted.

Hope this gives you a few places to start looking,

Earl