IGNORED

LED Marker Lights

Just finished a small project to add 5-light amber LED pods to the front fork reflectors as side marker lights. My biggest concern was to hide the wires running up along the brake lines. For $11, I think I solved it:

• I started with two Radiantz Top FX LED pods (amber, with black housing). For $8.99 each, with a 3' shrink-wrapped wire pigtail they were perfect. So not to crack the reflector, I drilled progressively larger holes until I ended up with one just big enough to feed the wires through (photo 1). The LED pods come with 3M mounting tape that I stuck right to the reflector.
  • Bought some 5/8" black vinyl tubing from Home Depot for $11- the down side was that it is only sold in a 20ft roll (photo 2). This is the stuff commonly used in ponds and fountains, so you might have some luck finding it somewhere where you can buy the 2.5ft that you need. Oh well, so I have extra now.
  • Cut two pieces of tubing, each the length of each brake line, then slit it down the back with an exacto knife. This allowed me to slide it over the brake line and my newly run wiring (photo 3).
  • Once I had the tubing over the entire length of the brake line -- it was a little tight getting it through the guide brackets, but it fit -- I used a small black zip-tie at the top and bottom on each side to hold it snug (photo 4). This left me with a clean looking finished product (photo 5).
  • I took the wires up under the fairing and soldered the hot (yellow) wires into the positive terminal at the back of the conector plug for the accessory outlet. I then soldered the ground (black) wires into the ground terminal at the same plug (photo 6). Now the LEDs come on in the "Accessory" key position. The finished product throws a decent amount of light and looks unobtrusive -- at least to me (photo 7).

Guest tx2sturgis

Closed Circuit for anyone running wiring alongside brake lines:

Check them every now and then, to make sure there is NO chaffing of the brake line material or the wiring insulation, and make sure this set of lights is seperately fused with a very low amperage fuse.

Years ago, I had run some wiring alonside my front brake lines, similar to this. Since the brake lines are constantly flexing with the road irregularities, the insulation on the wiring was slowly wearing out. One day, I hit the front brake, and all of a sudden, I lost ALL front brake as well as got a huge cloud of irritating burning brake fluid all around me behind the fairing....Couldnt stop, and couldnt see! Thankfully, there was no one crossing the intersection that I blew thru, and I survived, but had an interesting load of laundry that nite!

What had happened was the wires finally shorted, and then burned an instant hole in the brake line, shooting all the brake fluid out at high pressure over the burning wiring and causing me to have NO front brake, and a smoking cloud of brake fluid, that scared the heck out of me and burned my eyes, not to mention the sickening feeling when your brake lever squeezes to the grip and nothing happens.

SO...check those lines now and then. Better yet, dont run electrical lines parrallel with brake lines, unless you fuse them! Pay particular attention to where the wires pass over any metallic fittings!

Good luck.

Edited by tx2sturgis

Closed Circuit for anyone running wiring alongside brake lines:

Check them every now and then, to make sure there is NO chaffing of the brake line material or the wiring insulation, and make sure this set of lights is seperately fused with a very low amperage fuse.

Year ago, I had run some wiring alonside my front brake lines, similar to this. Since the brake lines are constantly flexing with the road irregularities, the insulation on the wiring was slowly wearing out. One day, I hit the front brake, and all of a sudden, I lost ALL front brake as well as got a huge cloud of irritating burning brake fluid all around me behind the fairing....Couldnt stop, and couldnt see! Thankfully, there was no one crossing the intersection that I blew thru, and I survived, but had an interesting load of laundry that nite!

What had happened was the wires finally shorted, and then burned an instant hole in the brake line, shooting all the brake fluid out at high pressure over the burning wiring and causing me to have NO front brake, and a smoking cloud of brake fluid, that scared the heck out of me and burned my eyes, not to mention the sickening feeling when your brake lever squeezes to the grip and nothing happens.

SO...check those lines now and then. Better yet, dont run electrical lines parrallel with brake lines, unless you fuse them! Pay particular attention to where the wires pass over any metallic fittings!

Good luck.

I might add make sure there is plenty strain relief, and use mulity stranded wire because of the flexing. Years of aircraft wiring tought me a few things.

Also wash your bike often. When drying it you find things loose or falling off, etc..

This link has led side markers that look like the orignal marker reflectors. One of my first changes in lighting. You would never know the difference until truning on the ignition switch.

http://www.electricalconnection.com/

I looked at those, but wanted to retain reflectivity on the forks... both for visibility when parked and to pass the annual state vehicle inspection.

I looked at those, but wanted to retain reflectivity on the forks... both for visibility when parked and to pass the annual state vehicle inspection.

You have a point there in the State of Pennsylvania. I may just leave it alone and not have a problem on inspection day.

You have a point there in the State of Pennsylvania. I may just leave it alone and not have a problem on inspection day.

Bummer, I would be more worried about being seen while on the bike then when it's parked. Your correct though, there is much reflection when shining a light at them.

Good old PA.I remember those inspections as a kid. My dad was an auto mechnic. There all most as bad as England, in the UK. If a screw driver can punched threw the floorboard, there is another 20lbs of steel welded in. I had an old 1960 Morris Woody in 1988. Couldn't tell how many times if failed for rust. LOL

.... Good old PA.I remember those inspections as a kid. My dad was an auto mechnic. There all most as bad as England, in the UK. If a screw driver can punched threw the floorboard, there is another 20lbs of steel welded in. I had an old 1960 Morris Woody in 1988. Couldn't tell how many times if failed for rust. LOL

At least it's better than New Jersey. In NJ you have to go to a government run DMV facility for inspection. In PA, we can go to privately run shops and get inspections.