IGNORED

buying a 1992 venture royale

yam650

That really isn't high mileage for these bikes (although it might be a lot of miles for Alberta). Frankly I'd be more concerned about a low mileage bike that has spent the last ten years forgotten in the back of a garage. One that is regularly ridden is much more likely to be properly maintained.

If it looks like it's well cared for it probably is. If it's full of dirt and nests it certainaly has not been maintained.

Brake fluid is probably the most under maintained item on a motorcycle. Look at it. If it's clear or nearly clear the bike has likely been well cared for. If it looks like coffee it needs to be replaced and may be an indication that other things have not been kept up.

If 63000 miles really isn't that high for the engine ,how about the rest of the bike ,are there any weak points I should look at

Battery cables are a bit under sized (hot start issue), aside from that, normal maintenance & a few upgrades. Progressive fork springs are also a great upgrade, to do,

Tires don't seem to last, here on the praries (for the milage), I wore the center tread sections out of both tires last year.

:mo money::mo money:

BTW where in Alberta are you???

I'm looking at a 1992 venture royale,it has 102000 kms on it .Is that to high of mileage?,or should I look for something with lower mileage:puzzled:

I just bought one with 102000 miles on it, I'm not concerned with the mileage, I think that translates to about 160000 Kms

:think: Buy it if it's been maintained well there will be no issue.

Then that means mine is a baby since I just flipped 52,800 miles. I still love her.

Wish I had her with me know. On vacation driving to Washington to pick up my Mom and going to Fort Wayne, In, then onto Denver and beyond.

Still have to work though. Gotta be home by the 23rd.

The only issue I have with mine is that the previous owner put a mechanical shock on the rear. Will have to rectify that at some point.

Regular services are the key factor. Having mine serviced while on vacation. She'll be ready to ride when I get back.

Good luck with the new one. :thumbsup::nanner:

Talk to the owner about any repair items he has had done:

Especially---

Stator Replacement- ( If not, it needs one )

Battery cable replacement.

Starter Engage Clutch Replacement. ( If not, it will need to be done )

Has the Exhaust Canister been removed, and had the Rattling Part removed,

and rewelded shut, by a real welder. ( maby , maby not, )

Have the brake calipers ever been Completly Rebuilt? ( If not, it needs this, )

Have the Fork Springs been Replaced with Progressive suspension Springs.

( If not, they are shot, no matter what he says ) And fork seals.

Have the Carb, Diaphrams ever been Replaced. ?? If not, it needs this, ( about $200.00 bucks. )

Have the fork bearings ever been replaced? ( maby needs, maby not Check for Steering Wobble, at 30 to 70 MPH. Hands off bars, does it shimmy >> )

Ask him how many times he has pulled out the Drive shaft and greesed the splines on the forward end of the drive shaft

Check the Weep hole at forward end of Drive Shaft houseing for SAE -90 gear lube leakage, if its there, then the oil seal at Rear End of Drive shaft needs to be replaced.

Ask if he has ever rebuilt the Clutch, and Brake Master Cyliders,

Ask if he has ever Repbuild the Clutch Slave Cylinder

Find out if the Electrical plug between the Stator, and Regulator has ever been repaired, cleaned, or cut out and had the Wires Spliced together, ( take a look at this yourself, pull off left side panel and look. )

Pull side panels, and LOOK at the Carbs, if they are an Oily Mess, most likley the guy has not done much maintenance !!!!

Check the throttle Pull cable at left Fwd Carb, for Fraying !!! IF Frayed, you will have to pull the upper left fairing to replace the cables !!!! ( Yes you do ! )

Check the Weep Hole, under the Water Pump houseing, for anti Freeze leakage.

--- Biggie!! Check for Clutch Slippage !!! HOW ??--- At about 20 MPH, Hit 2nd gear, and floor board it, If Slipping you will know it !!! OR, from about 65 MPH, double downshift, and floorboard it, If slipping you will know it.

Check Volt Meter, going at 45 MPH or higher, Make sure the Meter is reading close to 14 VOLTS !!! ( NOT 12V ) If its close to 12 Volts, check the Charging Voltage at the Battery Terminal, IT SHOULD BE AT LEAST 13.8 v with engine RPM at 2000 RPM. !! IF BELOW 13 Volts, IT NEEDS A NEW STATOR!!!!!!!!! About $150 bucks

((( Take a Digital Volt/Ohm Meter with you when you go look at it !!!! Check the charging Voltage, IF LOW, It will need a NEW STATOR !!! )))

Others may not agree with me on all these items, but at 73K on my 89 I have had to do All these Jobs !! Now maby I got a Lemon!! But, ---

However, I love the bike !! Doubt I will ever sell it. Its a great bike for freeway Cruzing !!!

OK, as you discuss these item's with the owner, He will know that you know !!!! Trust, me, he knows about all this stuff !!!!!

kilometer |kiˈlämitər; ˈkiləˌmētər|- a metric unit of measurement. Has also been used unsuccessfully as a tool to convince the wife we need a new bike.:doh:

SEE, metric measures have their usefulness :crackup::crackup::crackup:All my Alans' tools are metric LOL:rotf::rotf::banana::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf: