IGNORED

Bearing buddies etc. etc.

Monsta

This trailer I have (Harbor Freight 40x48 w/8" wheels) has a zerk fitting in the back of the hub to lube the inside bearing. Do I really need the bearing buddie for the outer bearing? Seems easy enough to remove and repack using a bearing repacker.

Is there another advantage to a Bearing Buddies besides convenience?

If y'all think I should get them (because they're inexpensive) what size do I get? How I determine the size if nobody here knows off hand what the actual size is?

Thanks for your help! :D

This trailer I have (Harbor Freight 40x48 w/8" wheels) has a zerk fitting in the back of the hub to lube the inside bearing. Do I really need the bearing buddie for the outer bearing? Seems easy enough to remove and repack using a bearing repacker.

Is there another advantage to a Bearing Buddies besides convenience?

If y'all think I should get them (because they're inexpensive) what size do I get? How I determine the size if nobody here knows off hand what the actual size is?

Thanks for your help! :D

Bearing Buddies are really only needed for boat trailers. They are designed to keep water from being sucked past the seals when you back into the water.

When you run the trailer, the bearings get hot. Backing them into the water cools them quickly, creating a vacuum. Hence, wanting to suck water thru the seals.

Because you will not be backing your motorcycle trailer into the water (and if you do, you have bigger problems than water in the bearings), you really don't need Bearing Buddies. Just give the bearings a shot of grease every once in a while.

RR

Bearing buddys are really not a necessity but they are a nice accessory. The advantage of the bearing buddy over the fitting in the hub is that the bearing buddy is spring loaded you fill up a chamber and the spring slowly with limited pressure pushes the grease into the hub. With the fitting in the hub 1 pump to many will push the seal out of the hub.

I also agree with the previous statements - the zerk fitting on the back does lubricate both sets of bearings; therefore, no need for the BBs to get enough grease in there.

HOWEVER, the added benefit of the BBs is that the spring loaded pressure plate gives you a positive visible cue on how much grease is left to keep the bearings lubed. If you do your preventative maintenance regularly, this isn't important, but if you tend to forget things or let the lube times stretch out a bit, I think the BBs are absolutely worth their cost, even if you don't have a boat trailer.

Bottom line is this - if you only occasionally use your trailer, and you are good about checking it out and greasing it up before a trip, save your money. If you use the trailer a lot, get the BBs; the cost is minuscule for the added piece of mind and the possible prevention of major problems while in the middle of nowhere far far from home. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

• 4 months later...
I also agree with the previous statements - the zerk fitting on the back does lubricate both sets of bearings; therefore, no need for the BBs to get enough grease in there.

HOWEVER, the added benefit of the BBs is that the spring loaded pressure plate gives you a positive visible cue on how much grease is left to keep the bearings lubed. If you do your preventative maintenance regularly, this isn't important, but if you tend to forget things or let the lube times stretch out a bit, I think the BBs are absolutely worth their cost, even if you don't have a boat trailer.

Bottom line is this - if you only occasionally use your trailer, and you are good about checking it out and greasing it up before a trip, save your money. If you use the trailer a lot, get the BBs; the cost is minuscule for the added piece of mind and the possible prevention of major problems while in the middle of nowhere far far from home. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Ditto:clap2: