IGNORED

Arkansas/ Oklahoma motorcycle trip

Moakster

We are planning a trip to the Southeast Ark/Southwest Ok area for RV camping and take in the countryside. We have been looking all over the Internet at different roads and byways to find some scenic and fun roads to travel. Does anyone have some suggestions as to which roads are the best for motorcycling. Keep in mind my lean & speed control monitor will be riding with me.

Moakster :cop:

Thanks for all the replies. Our trip is in the early stages and it looks like were going to have a lot more time to ride than I first thought. I have looked at all the roads mentioned from Google earth and they are awesome. Thanks for the info.

Moakster

:thumbsup2::Venture:

I don't remember the road names but look at google for any of these places and you can get them.

Robbers cave,

Cedar lake,

Talemina drive,

Pig trail(Hwy 23 - BE CAREFUL - it's not as bad as the dragon but it is a twisty road as the name implies),

Highway 7 if you are going anywhere northern AR. Stop by Devil's Den state park

Hot Springs is beautiful,

Heavener OK is kind of a neat old town and the roads around there are great.

Mena AR is another neat old town.

Cedar lake - South of Heavener OK has RV camping as well as horse camping(Which I doubt you will pull the horse trailer - I just mention so you will know to watch for crossings and the right camping area). This has been my wifes favorite place for 25 years - she still misses it.

There is a place called Billy creek off the Talemina drive - It is primitive camping but really pretty.

Robbers Cave has RV hookups

Cedar lake has RV hookups

Devils Den has RV hookups (You owe it to yourself to see devils den at least once) even if you can just take the bike up there.

Moccasin bend North of Russellville, AR on Hwy 7 - Has atv trails and horse trails and primitive camping (You can get a large RV in there)

Steele Creek is at the head of the buffalo river - and WOW - it is pretty. Not sure about rv hookups but definitely has camping. and some great motorcycle roads. Be careful taking an RV in though - it's steep.

(I can come up with more - I have been around that area a little)

Edited by mountainhorsega
fixed a goofed name Billy creek, not Jack creek

We rode from Houston through OK to ride AR, reaching MO near Branson before heading back south to ride more AR. It was a 4-day trip of awesome rides in late September.

We stayed the first night in OK, just north of Broken Bow at the Hochatown State Park. That is a gorgeous location! There was a nice loop through Beaver Bend State Park... I don't think we did it justice. It was very pretty terrain and deserved better than the pass through we did. I'd say that would be a fine place to camp. Sunrise over the Broken Bow reservoir was awesome.

BTW, I am an avid amateur photographer. You can check out this trip on Flickr, clicking here. I'd repost the photos here, but they would be smaller and use up server space unnecessarily.

I liked the Talimena Drive. You can have lunch at the scenic Queen Wilhelmina Hotel. I can't bring myself to recommend it for dinner, but it was fine for breakfast. The sunset and sunrise was spectacular.

The Pig Trail was cool, but there was a rally in the area and the trail was clogged with bikes. It was a slow parade. I'd like to go back when it isn't crowded.

Mount Magazine was very pretty indeed. Lots of scenic vistas.

We stayed in Mountain Home, and my favorite memory was riding through the early morning fog south down Hwy 341 to Hwy 5 and south. Quietly puttering along was amazing for the soul. Well, at least as quiet as it can be following 3 Harleys. LOL

I have my tracks saved in Garmin MapSource if you want them. Send me your email via PM if you do. I went with guys who had spent much time in AR, and this ride combined their favorites.

Dave