IGNORED

Shift Indicator problems

ventureohio

Hello Venture Riders.

I need some help. I have looked in the service manual and cannot find the fix for this. I have a First Generation 1985 Venture Royale, 1200cc. My shift indicator only works in 4th and 5th gear. The display never drops below 4th gear. Is there an adjustment that I can do on this? If so where is it on the gear case or motor? Thanks in advance.

:Cool_cool36:

There is a Rotary Switch, located under the AFT, Case cover on left side of CrankCase.

Shaft comes thru sidewall, of lower crankcase. This is a 6 position switch, 1 thru 5 and neutral.

6 wires from switch, run up to the Indicator ( CMS Unit )

Switch, applies electrical ground, to " One of the Wires " for whatever gear you are in.

The Switches, are Notorious for going bad. To get access, you have to pull OFF the AFT left side cover. ( sorry ) ( New Gaskets needed )

Now follow the cable from the switch, to a Pull Apart Electrical Plug.

Open Plug, and apply a " TEST " ground, to each of the 6 pins going up to the CMS.

As you do this, the Indiator will change numbers. If you get 1 thru 5, plus N.

Then the Indicator is Good, and the Switch is bad.

To fix switch, Remove it, and Apply, a light coating of Solder to each of the contacts, and they will start makeing good contact again.

The inner Engine Casting around the Trans doesn't allow all oil to flow back to the Oil Pan. So there's always around 0.2 Liter Oil trapped. The lowest of the six Bolts is the Drain Bolt for that Area and needs to have a Copper Washer to seal. Otherwise it can leak there. Doesn't mean it WILL leak, but it can. Yammi says there should be a Copper Washer. I learned it the leaky Way.

The inner Engine Casting around the Trans doesn't allow all oil to flow back to the Oil Pan. So there's always around 0.2 Liter Oil trapped. The lowest of the six Bolts is the Drain Bolt for that Area and needs to have a Copper Washer to seal. Otherwise it can leak there. Doesn't mean it WILL leak, but it can. Yammi says there should be a Copper Washer. I learned it the leaky Way.

Thats the way I learned that one!! Don't forget when you learn like that.