IGNORED

Gun Safety problem

Iowa Guy

I have a Beretta 380 that I have been using for target practice. (recently qualified for carry conceal permit). The safety became sticky after while but now it won't work at all. Not good to have a gun without a functioning safety.

I have had such good luck with this site and fixing my bike, I was wondering if there is a comparable user friendly site that I could ask questions of for firearms.

Iowa Guy

I do some work on my own guns, but if you really don't know what you're doing, a good gun smith is good to know.. I've got a really nice piece I've kind of kept going for a few yeats, but it's time to break down and see a good smith..

Your life might depend on the condition of your bike, but if you are in a situation you are pulling out a gun, your life is even in more danger.. best to have something you KNOW will work... A smith will make sure of this..

Hey Tim,

Behind the safety lever on the 380 is a cam that rotates into position to keep the trigger from being pulled. The shaft between the lever and the cam gets "dirty" from firing. WD40 the heck out of it, (you CAN"T put to much oil on this gun) I've even used compressed air to dislodge the gunpowder residue, do this several times, WD40, compressed air, WD40 etc. Once you get it freed up use a good gun oil on the safety lever. While you're at it do the slide as well, gunpowder residue on these semi's is a real killer. (no pun intended) Oil these guns like crazy, then wipe off with a soft cotton cloth. Just swabbing out the barrel doesn't get the job done. If this doesn't clear up the problem, it's time to see a good smith for a disassembled cleaning. By the way the 380 is a very nice, dependable weapon as long as you keep it clean.

Earl

Hey Tim,

Behind the safety lever on the 380 is a cam that rotates into position to keep the trigger from being pulled. The shaft between the lever and the cam gets "dirty" from firing. WD40 the heck out of it, (you CAN"T put to much oil on this gun) I've even used compressed air to dislodge the gunpowder residue, do this several times, WD40, compressed air, WD40 etc. Once you get it freed up use a good gun oil on the safety lever. While you're at it do the slide as well, gunpowder residue on these semi's is a real killer. (no pun intended) Oil these guns like crazy, then wipe off with a soft cotton cloth. Just swabbing out the barrel doesn't get the job done. If this doesn't clear up the problem, it's time to see a good smith for a disassembled cleaning. By the way the 380 is a very nice, dependable weapon as long as you keep it clean.

Earl

Thanks Earl, I've got lotsa WD40 and a good air compressor. If that doesn't do it, I will go to a gun smith.

Iowa Guy

I carry a Kel-Tec 9mm that weighs less than my S&W "J" Frame 38 special and is about the same size. Never had a problem and I go to the range weekly with at least a "family value pack" of ammo from WalMart (box of 100 rounds). And just to echo what others have said---find a gunsmith who you can trust. Ask around because the good ones will come with a solid reputation and are worth their weight in gold.

you guys having any problems finding amo i now cary a taurus pt145 nice gun have found some but not much amo can't find any 380 at all and i would rather cary the 380 on the bike but i;m gatting used to the 45:big-grin-emoticon:

anyone that owns a gun, needs to know how to CLEAN IT!

if you don't know propper cleaning and operations to do so......LEARN or carry a stick.

having a foid card , gives many people a false idea that they have passed some tough test that gives them the rite to own a gun......... NOT..

ok i'm getting down off the soapbox:soapbox:

if your lack of cleaning your bike would put you or others in danger........don't turn the key or pull the trigger on it also....you don't have to be a gunsmith or a mechanic to know how to keep it clean. lighten up francis! take a shower and enjoy the b/s.

you guys having any problems finding amo i now cary a taurus pt145 nice gun have found some but not much amo can't find any 380 at all and i would rather cary the 380 on the bike but i;m gatting used to the 45:big-grin-emoticon:

.380 ammo is in short supply nationwide I understand. I needed ammo to qualify with my off duty pistol and found two boxes of .380 in the whole state.

Man, I know what y'all bring to a knife fight. The 2nd Amendment is one I would die for. When I was in Memphis I met and talked to a nice guy from England and he said they took away all their guns years ago. He said he had a air rifle but had to keep it hid. (BUMMER) We don't know what we have untill we loose it. For anyone who likes guns the NRA if offering free membership at this time. I hope its OK to say that.

i do ALL my own auto/motorcycle and gun cleaning smithing and mechanical repairs.

no b/s about that.

as for b/s in general......yes your correct about that:stickinouttounge:

it's easy for you to spot!! rite?:big-grin-emoticon:

Here is a link to a video on how to field strip it. After you break it down clean everything oil it with gun oil or any lite oil and put it back together. It is a very simple operation and something you should know how to do.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1j0g0ccXU0]YouTube - AMT Backup: Field Strip & Reassembly[/ame]