IGNORED

Another Idea for Running Lights

At MarCarl's VentureIn event, a few members suggested that I post an idea for mounting running lights that dosen't require brackets. I mounted a pair of "Xreme" 55w lights just below the fairing and beside the rad side wings by removing the top threaded screw holding the aluminum side piece and using a longer threaded screw in its place to hold the lights in place. In my cse, I inserted a half inch spacer so the light that I used were in a perfect position. You can judge for yourelf whether the location looks good for you, but it sure functions well. Also, with "Xtreme" lighting kit that I bought (the oval shaped lights), everything needed came with the kit to install it directly to the battery (with an in line fuse) and to locate the switch inside the gas cap area. Didn't have to cut a single wire or drill holes. I may mount a switch on my dash some day, but for now, the location works surprisingly well as I can easily switch the lights on or off when I am riding.

locate the switch inside the gas cap area. Didn't have to cut a single wire or drill holes. ..... I can easily switch the lights on or off when I am riding.

Just wondering hdw my door locks closed and id need the key to open it? :confused:

good idea ,kinda like mine i put under the bottom radiator trim

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b22/MikeM8560/Venture%20XVZ12/100_01yyyyyy56-1-1.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b22/MikeM8560/Venture%20XVZ12/mvc_605s_114.jpg

I do like the nice neat installation Evan, but I do have a concern and I am not sure if I am being paranoid or not.

someone else here will hafta let me know if I am wrong being worried about a switch and the possibility of a spark in the gas filler lid area?:think:

Brian

I gotta say something here. The idea is good and it does make for a clean mount. When I got my bike the upper screws on the radiator side covers on both sides were gone. When I tried to install new 5mm screws I found the threads were stripped. What I found was the spot where those screws go in is not a speed nut or a steel nut behind the bracket but nothing more than an aluminum tab that is (or was) threaded. The tab is fairly thick so I was able to drill it out and tap it for a 6mm screw.

I was talking the the PO's son about the bike and mentioned finding the stripped out holes. He said his Dad had installed driving lights on the side covers but they had stripped them out tightening them all the time so they took them off. Sounded good at the time, ya know how that goes. LOL!

And I too have a concern about the switch being in the tank fill area. I have a post in the poor mans section on a switch panel I made that solved a lot of my problems. A one bolt mount and up to three switches on the left hand controls. Maybe something you can get some ideas from.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=34990

Good luck

Mike

Guest tx2sturgis
....and to locate the switch inside the gas cap area.....

Wow.

Sparks, arcs, and gas fumes. Yeah, thats what I want close to me when riding at 70 miles an hour!

:puzzled:

Has anyone mounted driving lights on the forks?

I would love to have lights that point in the direction of my front wheel . . .

i made a pair of brackets for Bongobob to do what you are asking. then he had some other wiring issues. i am sure he will be responding to this post very shortly.