IGNORED

Check those back tires

fixit3546

I knew that i needed a new back tire and it should have been here last week but somehow over night shipping turned into 5 days, enough about that.

Like i said, i knew the tire was slick. I looked at it every day to make sure it was still just slick and not worse. The problem is that with the bumper and all the trim, it is difficult to see the tire without a close inspection. I could only see about 6 inches of the tread through this hole that is suppose to have a rubber insert in it. Everytime i looked at it, I saw a slick tire; but it still had rubber there.

Well, I got my new tire in finally. Tuesday. When i looked at the tire I saw what you see in the picture. It is only half of the tire. the other half still has rubber and is what i was looking at.

I had just ridden this home, about a 25 mile trip, Making about 70 MPH on Hwy 49. And it was hot...............All i can say is thank you Jesus!!!

They say He watches over Old Folks and fools. I guess that means i got double protection.:confused24:

Now, go look at your back tire, and look at it good.:080402gudl_prv:

BTW, The other picture is how i got the tire off. With all the dress items it is almost impossible to get the tire out from under the bike with it just on the center stand.

This time i put the kick stand down on a 2x4 and set me floor jack under the pivot point of the center stand. This allowed me to raise and tilt the bike allowing easier removal of the tire. It worked almost flawlessly.

The jack should have been placed further back though. It was almost at the balance point. When i put the tire back on, the bike almost tilted back and it tried to spin aroung at the same time.

Hey man, your are definitely a lucky man! I have made the exact same mistake, but the worst I got was the first chord layer just beginning to show - you wore COMPLETELY THROUGH TWO LAYERS OF CHORD, and maybe three! It's hard to tell from that picture, but it looks like the third layer is worn all the way through also. WOW! Man, the rest of that carcass had to be getting thin there, especially if it was only a 3-ply tire.

One last thought for you - check your tire balancing carefully - for one spot to be that badly worn through while the other half of the tire didn't show the cord at all suggests that it was way out of balance. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Hey man, your are definitely a lucky man! I have made the exact same mistake, but the worst I got was the first chord layer just beginning to show - you wore COMPLETELY THROUGH TWO LAYERS OF CHORD, and maybe three! It's hard to tell from that picture, but it looks like the third layer is worn all the way through also. WOW! Man, the rest of that carcass had to be getting thin there, especially if it was only a 3-ply tire.

One last thought for you - check your tire balancing carefully - for one spot to be that badly worn through while the other half of the tire didn't show the cord at all suggests that it was way out of balance. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Your right, 3 belts and pegscraper, I'm not sure because of a speedometer failure, but i'm guessing only 6-7k miles.

The Maxxis classic is not the best tire for mileage(on mine anyway) But i have trouble finding the right size in a wide white wall that has a matching front and rear as far as the size.

The 140/90/18 is $104.00 (locally)so i can afford it and not loose much in the long run.