IGNORED

D.I.Y. 4 Cylinder Carburetor Synchronizer

a1bummer

In theory that's all true, but in practice, I have found that each carb effects the others in some way, and you can't see that when balancing two.

I made a spirit level type sync with four lines teed together out of tubing and tees from Lowes sprinkler section. I don't have any dampeners, and use ATF as the fluid, and it works very well. I think the lighter fluid doesn't matter, since this tool balances the carbs against each other instead of against atmospheric pressure like Mercury sticks and the Morgan carb synch or the gauge type synchs.

Care to share how you went about making this including pics?

• 1 year later...

I found this thread on a search of the web.

What an excellent design!!!

Seems to me that if you want to make it more sensitive you could decrease the size of the plastic tube. Is my thinking correct?

I am going to try it with 5/8" Plastic tube. Partially because of other considerations. : )

Thanks

Alan

I found this thread on a search of the web.

What an excellent design!!!

Seems to me that if you want to make it more sensitive you could decrease the size of the plastic tube. Is my thinking correct?

I am going to try it with 5/8" Plastic tube. Partially because of other considerations. : )

Thanks

Alan

Welcome!

Enlarging the diameter of the tube will not change the sensitivity at all. The column of fluid will move until the pressure is balanced regardless of diameter (assuming the diameter is large enough to overcome capillary effects). The sensitivity is determined by the density of the fluid.

A larger diameter will slow the response somewhat, so less jumping around. It'll also be easier to see if you're one of us that has already celebrated the 20th anniversary of our 19th birthday.

There are several variation to the homemade carb sync tool on this forum. Here is the link

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=34376

I went with the 2 Snapple bottle setup. The discription is at the end of page 2 and the pictures are at the beginning of page 3. No, it won't do all 4 carbs at the same time, but it is very steady and accurate. With the stuff I had lying around it didn't cost $10 to build it.

:178:

• 1 month later...
Just in case anybody is looking for a D.I.Y. 4 cylinder carburetor synchronizer, I made one the other day and it worked great. I filled it with some trans fluid and it was VERY sensitive and worked great. I put some pics of it in my gallery. The pics might be enough to tell ya how I did it. But if you have any questions, I can give ya all the details.

Can you tell me if when you made the carburetor synchronizer if you included some type of carb adapter and/or controllable dampening valves. Is it necessary to have these two items in series with the home made tester??? DanC:Venture:

• 3 months later...

Well, made an attempt at A1's sync unit. Looked pretty good until I hooked up to my RSV.

My tubes collapsed (sounds like something my wife would say :rotf:) as I used flourescent light tube covers...only thing I could find locally. They are not heavy and rigid enough to withstand the vacuum pressure I found out.

Looking online for a source and sent an email to one manufacturer in NH to see if they can supply me with 3/4" rigid.

If I can find the tubes - I'll try again!

Great idea by the way and with the right components works like a charm.

• 2 weeks later...

My new and improved carb synch tool. And, it works great!

My apologies for the earlier comments about how my two unit did a good job.

This new four-way unit clearly is superior.

The beast now runs smoooooth . . .

:bluesbrother:

• 1 month later...