IGNORED

Stebel Nautilus Compact Motorcycle Air Horn - Chrome

TEW47

Ordered 2 horns. Question, I am going to mount them on the rear bolt holding the passenger floorboards. Can I splice the wires from one relay to both horns? The relay is 30 amps. I was thinking of wireing one horn and spliceing the wires from that horn to the other horn. Hope you can understand what I mean.

tew47

The horns are rated at 19A each and the relay is rated at 30A. I can't say that you'll melt anything, but those are your numbers to start your research with.

Good luck - when they work (and mine has for close to two years, without fail), they're great. Let us know how you make out with having a pair mounted.

I am running two of the horns. I mounted them in the same place you are talking about and it looks great. I split the wires coming off the relay that came with the horns and have been using it for a couple months without a problem. If the relay burns up from too much draw, I will replace with a larger one, but until then...

I am running two of the horns. I mounted them in the same place you are talking about and it looks great. I split the wires coming off the relay that came with the horns and have been using it for a couple months without a problem. If the relay burns up from too much draw, I will replace with a larger one, but until then...

Could you post pictures would like to see how they look on your bike.

TWO of em??!!

Where are those pics?

I'd like to see how you mounted them.

I bought ONE to replace the stock horn, but couldn't figure where to put any more. I would go another 2 if they look good and are easy to mount. (I like attention)

craigr

Too much of a good thing is maybe not so good. Not talking about the loud here, but the load.

Be sure to compare them together, then with one disconnected. Air horns pull so much juice that you may find two of them are not actually as loud as just one. For the same reason you will want to feed that relay with 12 AWG wire. You can use slightly smaller wire to each horn and from horn to ground, 14 or maybe 16. You don't want to go with smaller wires, even if the amp draw would be safe for such short runs, because the issue with horn loudness is getting maximum voltage to the horn. Smaller wires have more resistance and will reduce the voltage (that is why a smaller wire gets hot when too much current is pushed through it). :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Too much of a good thing is maybe not so good. Not talking about the loud here, but the load.

Be sure to compare them together, then with one disconnected. Air horns pull so much juice that you may find two of them are not actually as loud as just one. For the same reason you will want to feed that relay with 12 AWG wire. You can use slightly smaller wire to each horn and from horn to ground, 14 or maybe 16. You don't want to go with smaller wires, even if the amp draw would be safe for such short runs, because the issue with horn loudness is getting maximum voltage to the horn. Smaller wires have more resistance and will reduce the voltage (that is why a smaller wire gets hot when too much current is pushed through it). :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

I would think if you ran two horns, and used two relays, you should be OK, but I think if a person were to run only one relay, you would get into the situation you are describing...

BUt I've been known to be wrong too...

I would think if you ran two horns, and used two relays, you should be OK, but I think if a person were to run only one relay, you would get into the situation you are describing...

BUt I've been known to be wrong too...

Actually, the relay has little to do with it. As long as the contacts are rated for the full amp load that will be attached, it will be fine. The voltage drop will come from the wire size and length. You need the bigger wire feeding the relay since that one wire will have to pass the full current of both horns. The battery has to be able to supply the total current for both horns, no matter if it is through two wires or one, so the only limiting factor besides the battery capacity is the wire size used.

Goose

Note: if each horn is rated at 19A, you should NOT attach two of them to a single 30A relay! You won't start a fire like you could with wire that is too small, but you will destroy the contacts inside the relay that will cause the horns to get weak and eventually stop working. Find a heavy duty 40A relay at an auto parts store or use two of the normal plastic ones.

Edited by V7Goose
Added comment on Relay load

So true.. and that is something I had addressed on my Roadie when I put the air horns on it... Ran larger wire through the complete horn system. Worked out great.. Will probably do the same for the Venture, because I plan to run two horns on it... I figured though, so long as the bike was running, and the wire thick enough, it shouldn't be a problem with enough current...

Could you post pictures would like to see how they look on your bike.

New pics posted in my profile. Not the best ones, but they show the final product. I am going to remake the brackets with thicker aluminum, the 1/8" isn't holding up to the vibration.

Looks good!!

I was anxious to see how you did it so I could go buy another 2 to add to my 07 Venture, but I see my passenger floorboards would be in the way.

I will have to look around my bike to find a place for another 2 air horns.

craigr

New pics posted in my profile. Not the best ones, but they show the final product. I am going to remake the brackets with thicker aluminum, the 1/8" isn't holding up to the vibration.

Thanks I just bought one I think it will fit with the floor boards down as lone as the wife don't rest her heel on it. I think I will see how one sounds may do two later if I need the extra noise.