IGNORED

Need advise on trailer wiring

ediddy

I just ordered a venture dad hitch. Roy said to use a standard boat trailer 5 pin flat rubber connector wiring kit that you can get from most auto parts stores. A friend of mine has a trailer he pulls with his goldwing and said I can use it anytime to get the feel of pulling a trailer before I buy one. I thought this is great. My wife and I are going on a trip next week so this will be a good time to pull a trailer. But my friend says he has a 4 pin connector with a 5th wire added. I also saw on a thread this morning on the hopkins hoppy trailer kit which it says is a 4-way flat connector. What should I do to wire my venture for a trailer. I am confused, however it doesn't take much to confuse me. Thanks.

The trailer you bought needs the 5-pin flat connector - that's what I would install. Then if you want to pull your friends trailer, either go during the day with low traffic, without attaching the wiring or temporarily connect a 4-pin. Then you can switch it out for your 5-pin.

Lastly, you could wire your 5-pin and then make a patch cable to go from 5-pin to the 4-pin.

Dave

I went with the 4 pin flat with the modulator recommended by Freebird in his excellent tech article.

Most of the motorcycle trailers I have seen have the 4 pin connector as well (including my friend's trailer that I get to borrow every now and then). Also, when I ordered my golf club carrier from Als custom motorcycles I simply had him put on a 4 pin set up which works perfectly running lights and all.

Incidentally, my friend has a honda shadow, tried to put on the 5 pin set up from the goldwing, and we couldn't get it to work for anything including adapters. He eventually went to the local U-haul dealer and they had a isolator/modulator that is nearly identical to the one recommended by Freebird and it works perfectly.

Hope this helps

Todd

Thanks for the replies. How do I find the tech article by Freebird? I've looked and can't find. Thanks

ediddy,

It will depend on which tail light system your friend has on his trailer! If it has separate turn signals then you will need the 5 wire flat and no converter. If it uses the brake lights as turn signals you will need the converter. I see you have not bought you a trailer as of yet so you will have to wire to his trailer needs. Why did your friend add the 5th wire and what is it used for? These are the questions you will need to know before wiring your bike to it. My first trailer was a 4 wire and I needed a converter and now the trailer I have is a 5 wire and I just hot wired behind the license plate since it has separate amber turn signals just like the bike!

Dog

• 5 weeks later...

Ok, I am waiting on my cargo trailer: See picts.

It is currently a 4 wire. I am going to add amber LED 6" oval turns to it, since it originally comes with only red LED 6" ovals for the rear. I will wire these up and add them to the existing wiring set up.

I bought a Khrome Werks receiver hitch for my '99 RSV. It comes with a round 5 wire hook up.

I have replaced my signals/turns, brake lights, and running lights, with LED's from custom dynamics. So the only incandescent bulbs on my bike are the head light and the driving lights.

My questions:

1. Do I need an isolator? If the trailer and the bike are primarily LED.

2. If I do need an isolator, which one should i get? I was able to find these three, are there more? Out of these, which one is best? Why?

http://www.motoleather.com/untrisha1.html

http://electricalconnection.com/wire-harnesses/hrns-trailer.htm

http://www.wingworx.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=176

3. Are there inline adapters for adding trailer wiring for the RSV's? I saw some for the 1800 GW's and for HD's.

Any additional thoughts, feedback, suggestions?

TIA for all your help and advice.

Anyone know of a source where we could purchase the male and female plastic connectors that are found under the seats for the rear to front wiring harness?

I am thinking about making an inline harness for trailer hook-ups.

Anyone want to help me in my quest?

After getting my trailer wired at the VIP I came home and purchased this. It will stop feedback of electricity from the trailer to the scooter. Winter project I guess. Ride safe and God Bless. Mike http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TRAILER-WIRING-ISOLATOR-CONVERTER-VEHICLE-CIRCUIT-SAVER_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ50072QQihZ007QQitemZ170151681188QQtcZphoto

After getting my trailer wired at the VIP I came home and purchased this. It will stop feedback of electricity from the trailer to the scooter. Winter project I guess. Ride safe and God Bless. Mike http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TRAILER-WIRING-ISOLATOR-CONVERTER-VEHICLE-CIRCUIT-SAVER_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ50072QQihZ007QQitemZ170151681188QQtcZphoto

Thanks, but this is a converter & isolator. I am just looking for an isolator, and I am still wondering if it is necessary to even bother with an isolator.

• 1 month later...