IGNORED

intercom patch cords

Hi guys, I'm new to this group and in need of some parts for my new(to me) 86vr,and hope you can help I'm looking for the stock patch cords for the intercom (bike to helment)if anyone knows where they can be had that would be great!.Also the side panel vents? (big triangle ones, need both sides) thanks for any help, Ed

Ed,

Welcome aboard, and if you're near Detroit you need to come pick over the 88 parts bike I just acquired.

On the headsets there are essentially 2 cables - one from the amp to the false tank cover or the trunk and another to the headset. The 2nd is part of the headset, not the motorcycle.

I have replacements for the part that goes on the motorcycle. I also have the vents you need.

Carl

Hi guys, I'm new to this group and in need of some parts for my new(to me) 86vr,and hope you can help I'm looking for the stock patch cords for the intercom (bike to helment)if anyone knows where they can be had that would be great!.Also the side panel vents? (big triangle ones, need both sides) thanks for any help, Ed

The patch cord required is different for various brands of headsets. Do you know the brand of headset you have?

J&M, Chatterbox, Scala, Sierra, etc.?

RR

P.S. Welcome to the family.

thanks guys, the J&M stuff only works with J&M headsets I need the stock yamaha patch cords (from the cord on the side of the false tank cover and the back trunk plug to the helments 5pin male both ends) carl you got a # my e-mail is ewestley1730@aol.com let me know on the vents ,I'm in port huron mi. 60mi. north:clap2:

Guys, PLEASE forgive me sometimes I stop to think and don't start again! My bike is a 86 vr with the with the yamaha Mitsubishi headsets J&M cables wont work, or eds cables Guess I need the OLD( like me )stuff LOL Thanks for all the help Ed:happy-emoticon:

For the interface cables that hook up to the amp. J&M made these for Yamaha & are still listed at a fraction of the Yamaha price.

http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=JM%2DYV%2D41

Then if using J&M headsets, you will need the lower cord (5pin bottom connector), for the headset used

Heyguys, thanks for all the input,But I can only use the old style (ome yamaha) cords I talked to J&M and they said they haven't made those cord in 20 year (my luck).The bike is a5pin 180deg. BUT the darn head set is different (3pin on the top 2 on the bottom) so I thought maybe.... if some one up graded there old system they might have the old ome cords still? I have tryed everybody ,all they can tell is I would have to by there cords and headsets (200-300 bucs):crying: Thanks again, Ed

Edited by fdracing
add picture

Heyguys, thanks for all the input,But I can only use the old style (ome yamaha) cords I talked to J&M and they said they haven't made those cord in 20 year (my luck).The bike is a5pin 180deg. BUT the darn head set is different (3pin on the top 2 on the bottom) so I thought maybe.... if some one up graded there old system they might have the old ome cords still? I have tryed everybody ,all they can tell is I would have to by there cords and headsets (200-300 bucs):crying: Thanks again, Ed

I bought mine direct from J&M 3 years ago, others have bought them from Sierra a lot more recently. I probably will be ordering another set from them soon, as part of another project in the planning stages.

If you want to make your own, hit a music store & get a 5 pin DIN MIDI cord with right angle plugs (long enough to make both cables out of it). You will need to cut it & solder on inline jacks, the cables are set up in a straight through configuration.

• 1 year later...

Hey there Rocket. I think I have bad factory cords. Is the Sierra link you posted back on 5/11/09 for the radio/intercom cords that run from the main audio unit to where you plug you helmet short cord into? Also are these music amp cords you and others are talking about pretty much the same thing ? Thanks

Hey there Rocket. I think I have bad factory cords. Is the Sierra link you posted back on 5/11/09 for the radio/intercom cords that run from the main audio unit to where you plug you helmet short cord into? Also are these music amp cords you and others are talking about pretty much the same thing ? Thanks

The OEM Mk2 cords could be a bit different, as there is a different configuration used (additional controller cords plugged in). But the J&M ones will work, for at least the basic setup, as I have not needed to play with the Mk2 cords. Maybe, try bypassing the remote controller cords, one at a time, to narrow down & locate the problem.

J&M Cords still listed http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=JM-YV-41

The music amp cords were a 1st attempt & not waterproof, as I found the J&M cords slightly later after making them. J&M kit includes a noise filter & cord holders.