IGNORED

RSV Windshield Question

It might be, but I just got my 660 yesterday (and all hooked up last night), and that thing has a little heft to it. I'd use the mount and get it hooked up real nice. It'll look nicer, too.

I'd hate to see it pop off as you go around a turn and land on the tank while your hands were busy on the bars...

Is the RSV windshield flat enough to use the suction cup mount for my Zumo?

Thanks!

James

I strongly suggest you dont even try it..unless you dont value your Zumo..

To much vibration and the suction cup could give way letting the GPS fall directly onto the gas tank while your trying to watch where your going at 60 MPH...

It is a bad thought.. thats all I will say..:thumbsup2:

What type Zumo do you have?

If you want to try to attend this below M&E, I will bring a zumo GPS attachment with me to see if your interested in it.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=35096

I strongly suggest you dont even try it..unless you dont value your Zumo..

To much vibration and the suction cup could give way letting the GPS fall directly onto the gas tank while your trying to watch where your going at 60 MPH...

It is a bad thought.. thats all I will say..:thumbsup2:

What type Zumo do you have?

If you want to try to attend this below M&E, I will bring a zumo GPS attachment with me to see if your interested in it.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=35096

I'll miss this meet due to the trip to Cleveland. I'm flying out of Atlanta tomorrow morning going to Cleveland Ohio to pick up my new to me 2001 RSV.

I have a 550 Zumo. I've already pulled the bike mount off the dual sport, so I'll plan on using it instead of the suction mount. The only problem is I don't have that mount wired for power and I don't think I'll have time to rig it up for the trip. That's why I was thinking about using the suction mount. But the vision of it falling off going down the road is too much! The Zumo battery will go for a few hours and I can take it out of the mount and charge it wuth a USB cable. I've also got a 60csx that I'll carry with me as a backup. It runs on AA and I have LIthium batterys for it and the camera. I should be OK.

Thanks!

James

I agree 100% about NOT using the suction mount. I use the Ram mount that came with the Zumo on the bike but use the sunction mount in my company Dodge Caravan and every once in a while it falls off the windshield. It lands on the dash and hasn't hurt anything yet but I hate when it falls off. I'm going to try and come up with a different mount for it.

Is the RSV windshield flat enough to use the suction cup mount for my Zumo?

Thanks!

James

If you use the suction cup, be sure someone is behind you so they can spot where in the ditch it lands so you can send us photos of the insides of a ZUMO.. All kidding aside, PLEASE don't use the suction cup attachment point, get a RAM mount. I know you're pressed for time and all to get it set up but you'll regret it.. If you saw someone else have success with a suction mount, salut to them.. but I'll bet dollars to donuts that yours will go flying after the first big series of bumps out there.

I have the 450 ZUMO and ram mounted on both bikes and it's that other one thing you don't have to fret about when on the bike..

Go ram mount M8.. you won't regret it..

best of luck

You could probably get that hooked up (electrically) in two hours, tonight. An hour total for removal/reinstallation of the fairing, and another hour snaking the wires and connecting them for power/audio. Quick and dirty for this weekend, tap into the aux power (cigarette lighter plug) on the left of the fairing. Switched power, 5A max (the Z660 has an inline 2A fus, so 5A should be fine as long as you're not hooking anythng else up to it, more than an XM/Sirius radio) and it's right there.

After your trip you can then worry about running the power cable to the battery or a different fuse point that you might already have set up. If you wire it today you won't have to take the second unit, batteries, etc. You won't have to worry about charging it every night either. It really won't take that long, if you work at it (I had to take my fairing off again last night to disconnect the GPS from the Aux line since it was overpowering the Sirius with its silence). I started at 7 and was watchng TV around 8:30 or so. Mind you, I putzed around and rerouted a few other cables while I was in there, and also had a stubborn screw on the inside of the fairing on reassembly. Two, two and a half hours oughta be enough for the install, I would expect.

Since I assume you are looking to use this for the return trip when you pick up your new ride, I understand why your time is limited for installing stuff.

Just take the cheapo, battery operated GPS and put it under the map window in a tank bag. There is a cigarette plug in the fairing on the clutch side at the bottom (look from below and you will see it) if you can use aux power. That should work fine to get you home. Once there, you can take the time to properly wire in the Zumo.

FYI - You can purchase a new cable and RAM mount from several places. The brake/clutch reservoir bolt mount is very solid on the Venture. For the dual sport, just use a RAM 7/8" ball with a U-bolt mount around the handlebar. Keep the current wiring installed on the DS, tape the connector and tuck it away when the Zumo is on the RSV.

To exchange the Zumo, disconnect the mount from the power cable, loosen the clamp in the back, and remove the mount. It then will easily re-install on the other bike.

This is a whole lot cheaper than buying a complete new motorcycle mount. And if you're like me, I don't use the GPS on my DS very often. So swapping it once or twice a year isn't any big deal.

Have a great ride back with your new Venture.

RR