IGNORED

Help deciding between a GL1200 or a Venture

I once bought a new GL1100 and love it, except I could easily drag the center kick stand around sweeping curves up in Mt Rainier in Washington State. After having been bikeless for 27 years I thought that I would like to have another GL1100 as a collector bike. During my search I remembered the Venture and after doing some comparision I purchased an 89 Venture and am glad I did. The curves are so much more fun!

I don't think ride height is an issue on the Goldwing. The Flat-4 engine makes the bike have a very low center-of-gravity and (I think) a little easier to handle. In contrast--The VR corners faster because the weight is higher. Both bikes have about 100 bhp (give or take). Timing belts are very easy to change (not sure about the stator). My biggest complaint about the Goldwing was: the engine is so wide that I kept hitting my shins on the motor everytime I put my feet down for a stop. I ended up with a VR, but that was partly brand loyalty. Like several others have said--both great bikes!

Bike two is an 86 GL 1200 Aspencade with new tires and...drum roll...only 19k on the clock and in VERY nice shape for $3800.

If it is any colsolation, it is my opinion that $3800 for the wing is way WAY too high. I have been pricing out newer wings and I have seen quite a few ~96 and newer for ~5k+. Only 19k miles on it? Like other have said, that is a huge can of unknowns. I don't give a rip how clean it looks on the outside that bike has done some serious sitting at some point. it is possible that it was purchased late and ridden a little bit every season, but still, lots of unknowns (especially for 3800).

With the mileage on the venture, that wouldn't bother me at all from a longevity standpoint.

I have put lots and lots of miles on an 82 GL1100, I absolutely love that bike (very well made, etc etc) but have never ridden a 1st gen venture so I cannot compare the two.

I guess if you don't mind getting greasy and turning some wrenches that wing may be a good way to go (provided you can get the price down quite a bit).

All of this said, if there is proof that the bike has been regularly ridden in the last couple years or has been torn down and rebuilt by a competent individual and runs well now then I guess maybe 3800 isn't that bad of a price; even so, seems a bit high.

Just my :2cents:

eddyG before you go hanging up the option Towel I can tell you that GodLover, Debron, Lowell and some others have converted over to the Kawasaki Voyager XII. These are great bikes with an Inline 4 that is easy to maintain and last forever. They have all the same components of the wing and Venture. Might want to take a look www.americanvoyagerassociation.com.

I too have had several bikes. 1981 1100 wing, 1984 Venture, 1986 Venture, 1984 1200 wing, 1989 Venture.

I've actually had several more bikes but you were asking about the wing and the venture.

My all time favorite of the above group was the 1984 Venture. Fastest of all the listed bikes and a pleasure to ride.

1st Gen Venture VS Wings--------- Venture every time.

The Kaw is a nice ride also.

Dealer for parts/service would also make a difference.

Still confused? Me too. I just love all bikes.

Good Luck in your decision,

BOO