IGNORED

need amp for 1st gen. any suggestions? spare parts?

Guest Vermincelli

Guest Vermincelli

Finally tore though the system and narrowed down all the problems to the Amp itself and the antenna. Antenna replacement is on the way but trying to find an amp is becoming rather tricky. Of course the con artists at the bike junkyards on ebay would be more than willing to sell me one for 300-500 bucks but then we all know where they can shove them with those prices.

Anyone know of a place to look that's reasonable or happen to have one they would like to part with?

Todd,

Quick question here, is your bike a Royale and does it have a CB? If it doesn't have a CB then I would seriously think of just going with an aftermarket radio/CD player. The sound system on the 1st gens is terribly dated and cassettes are hard to come by (unless your a collector)

This is just my opinion, but upgrade to something with a built in amplifier that has an auxillary jack so you can hook an MP3 player or sattilite into it. You can match up a set of speakers to handle the output and have a far superior sound system that what came stock in '85

...If you have the factory CB on your bike and it works then disregard my statement :whistling:

Guest Vermincelli

Royale with no CB. Only thing that's making me hesitate going to a CD indash player is the headset. I've been looking at the Sony marine model with the cover but trying to figure out what would be needed to get a 5 din plug (maybe wire to the rear speaker outputs?)

Royale with no CB. Only thing that's making me hesitate going to a CD indash player is the headset. I've been looking at the Sony marine model with the cover but trying to figure out what would be needed to get a 5 din plug (maybe wire to the rear speaker outputs?)

abouthte headset you could do as i did my amp was shot so i installed a sony marine unit under the dash with a dash mount remote. then i installed the J&M cb so i was able to hook it all up to a headset through the cb. add a Ipod and your all set :thumbsup2:

Guest Vermincelli

After gutting the whole system and finally getting a headset to test, everything's working fine now.

Left speaker is due to a shorted wire and the whine in AM was due to the antenna itself!

So now I will have Art Bell to listen to as I zip across the Nevada desert at 2am next weekend.

Definately going to go with that Sony deck/remote though for next year when I redo the dash panels. I looked all over the house and realized I don't have a single cassette, everything's CD. I can't believe I tossed out my Eagles, Steppenwolf and ELO!!

Yes, forget the Cassett player, go with an I-pod.

I'm about ready to tear out my Cassett player, I fix it, over an over

and only seems to last about one day on the road and its toast again.

I'm going to start looking for the Highest quality AM FM Tuner, with fairly high powered amp I can find.

( the stock amplifier, is onl 15 W per channell. )

I rigged up an I-pod device few months ago, works great,

I wired it direct into the pull apart plug located just under the radio tuner.

also, as to DIN Plugs, you can buy the plugs themselv's at radio shack, and fabricate your own cables. Not a big deal, all you need is a 10W soldering iron, and radio shack has lots of shielded cable to build whatever cableing you need.

• 2 weeks later...

i would love to see a more details on MikeM8560's retro-fit, sounds interesting.

i have a 1983 venture and the cassette is gone and no cb or intercom installed. so the question would be if i went the ebay route, is the wiring harns the same on a venture and a venture royale? or will i have to start hacking and splicing? if i have to hack and splice i may as well go with MikeM8560's retro-fit

"when i bought my bike the guy said it had never been dropped and never ridden in the rain, i said that will change."

peter

i would love to see a more details on MikeM8560's retro-fit, sounds interesting.

i have a 1983 venture and the cassette is gone and no cb or intercom installed. so the question would be if i went the ebay route, is the wiring harns the same on a venture and a venture royale? or will i have to start hacking and splicing? if i have to hack and splice i may as well go with MikeM8560's retro-fit

"when i bought my bike the guy said it had never been dropped and never ridden in the rain, i said that will change." I like it, riding in rain is normal for BC.

peter

As I said on the phone there are a pair of pins that need to have a jumper on the din connector that goes to the cassette deck (if there is no cassette deck installed). Who knows which pins need the jumper???

The factory sound system had CB as an Option, same with the intercom & intercom is easy to add, see these threads for more info

Use the search tab above & look for YV-41 to get these threads.

As I said on the phone there are a pair of pins that need to have a jumper on the din connector that goes to the cassette deck (if there is no cassette deck installed). Who knows which pins need the jumper???

The factory sound system had CB as an Option, same with the intercom & intercom is easy to add, see these threads for more info

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/search.php?searchid=279987

These threads go nowhwere.