IGNORED

tire question

dkip

I have picked up a screw in the back tire of my 2006 RSDT The tire only has about 1000 miles on it,is it okay to take it to a tire shop and have them plug it or not

Just looking for some input from you experienced riders

Thanks dkip

I know many wouldn't agree, but I worked with tires and tire repairs for many years, and I wouldn't be afraid to patch it with a pull-thru patch if the hole isn't very big. That is a patch that has a small rubber plug attached to it that fills the hole.

I WOULD NOT be comfortable using a regular tire plug, however.

You unmount the tire and place it in the repair stand/spreader. You then clean out the hole, and buff the area where the patch goes. Next, you apply the glue(vulcanizing compound), and then push the wire thru from the inside. You then take a pair of pliers, and grab the wire and pull it out until the patch is flush with the inside of the tire. Next, you roll the patch until it is completely sealed to the inside of the tire, just like a normal patch. The last step is to cut the plug even with the tread of the tire, and then remount tire.

I have picked up a screw in the back tire of my 2006 RSDT The tire only has about 1000 miles on it,is it okay to take it to a tire shop and have them plug it or not

Just looking for some input from you experienced riders

Thanks dkip

I tried this a few years ago and it worked perfectly. Maybe it'll work for you. I picked up a nail in the rear tire (Avon) with only 1000 miles on it too. I really didnt want to have to plug it as I had a not so good time with a plug once before. I contacted Ride-On and asked one of the owners there if their product would seal an existing hole with the nail still in it. He wouldnt guarantee it 100% but he said it should work. He shipped me an order and , following his directions, I installed it into the rear tire, leaving the nail in place. I then added air and rode it for the recommended 5 miles to distribute it in the tire. Back at the house I removed the nail and it began to lose air. As per instructions I jumped back on and rode it around the block. Within 1/2 block the hole sealed up and the repair lasted another 13k. As long as the hole diameter isnt too big, I think 1/8th is the max then it should work for you too. I have used Ride-On ever since.

www.ride-on.com

Here is what I'm talking about.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i274/13thAFMonterey/c195b57ef02ec376.jpg

The same companey also makes these kits which do not require tire removal, I have the larger kit at the shop but carry the smaller kit with me. Although I prefer the kit Monty posted the kits I have are extremely reliable I have plugged hundreds of tires with them over the years and never had one fail. the sales rep I get my stock from had 250 in the side wall of his front tires just for demo purposes. And everyone knows you realy should not plug a side wall but he actually wore out those tires without a failure.

BEWARE !! not all plug kits are equal but, Tech makes an extremely reliable product.

Edited by saddlebum

You will be very hard pressed to find a shop that will repair a motorcycle tire. I have had a string plug in my rear tire now for about 14000 miles. Tire is almost bald smooth and hasn't lost air yet.

Im running a steel belted car tire though. I have plugged regular motorcycle tires with no ill effects as well though.

You should probably just take it off and mail it to me and I'll dispose of the tire for you in an environmentally correct fashion.