Hi everyone

For some reason unknown to me, I seem to have lost my antenna tip, that is the part that is up from the black device on the antenna. It seems to have affected my cb because I can no longer hear anything on it. The allen screw was stripped while I was losing it. Could I just replace the top part with a small whip antenna that are sold at auto parts or does it need to be OEM?

Don

Any thing will work, the important thing is the length.

I lost one once and had a heck of a time finding something with that small of a diameter.

If I remember correctly I had to grind it down to make it work.

You also want to fix that stripped set screw of course.

Good Luck,

BOO

Well, I fixed the set screw. After heating up the top part, turns out I melted the black plastic sheath and the whole top came of.:mad:

Now the coil is exposed and I still had to drill the screw to get it out anyway. Can I just pour in plastic glue and put the top back on? I will grind and fit a whip in it while I have it in my hands.

Don

I am presuming that collar that you heated up is still connected to the coil? I'm not sure what kind of damage you could have caused but it certainly won't hurt to try and repair it. Do the best you can and see how it works,

Good Luck,

Boo

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I finally got around putting everything back together only to lose it a few days later. Now the coil went. All I am left with is the part of the antenna before the coil.

I was shopping for electronic parts the other day and saw a bunch of CB antennas that are used by truckers for a reasonable price. If I put one of these on, what problems can I expect? Will my radio still work? Is there a specific length I should look for? I have to ad that I have no mike or headset. I just use it for traffic news.

Don

If you're not planning to transmit it's not all that critical.

Any CB antenna should do the trick.

The wire that comes with a CB antenna will not have the correct plug at the radio end. Standard CB plug is PL-259 but the connector at on the Venture is looking for a Motorola plug.

You'll either have to get an adapter, or cut the base off your old wire and put a connector on there for your new antenna.

you can do what I did, I run a separate antenna for the radio and one for the cb. If you unscrew the splitter from the cb a regular cb antenna wire will screw right on and then I run another antenna on the other side for the radio, it actually makes the cb work better.