IGNORED

Airhawk cushion????

stvmaier

Steve, I have never used a Airhawk seat cushion, but what I did was stopped at the local salvation army store and was lucky to find a wooden bead seat pad for $1.00

I laid the pad on my RSV seat and carefully cut the bead pad and with a heavy duty string, I sewed up along the outer edge shapeing it the same as my seat.

This took me about 45 minutes total.

Then I purchased some black fabric material from Wally World for $3.00 and then I took it to a seamstress and asked her to sew the wooden bead pad up inside the material as she double stitched around the outer edge for strength. (She charged me $5.00)

When she was done, it looked profesionally made, and it fit my seat nicely.

If it was going to rain, I could easlity remove it and put it in the center trunk.

I will be making another one for my GW soon......it worked great..:thumbsup2:

Edited by Eck
spelling error

Peg & I took the First gen to Lawton to ride around and eat out, after awhile our rears were hurting big time. Stopped by Wal-mart and bought the beads for a car seat for around $8.00 lay it on the seat and it was a perfect fit what was left over I just slide it under the trunk area. We noticed a big difference we could get air to our rears and it help remove the pressure off the legs, and it made the seat feel like a new one....I recommend the beads too.....I going to modifle the beads for the RSV on our trip next week So it might help Peg out some.....

As for the Air Hawk I never used one but i might buy one for Peg if I knew it would help her back

Buddy

Just got back from a 5 day, 4000 mile trip. Went the first day (1140 miles) with a sheepskin only and was OK but not ready for any more. Used the Airhawk for the next 4 days including a 1044 mile last day (got in last night at 1:30 am).

While I am not ready to ride another Iron Butt today, it would not have been possible without the Airhawk. I also have the Butt Butler seat mod that helps with the tailbone.

You will need to play with the air pressure. It doesn't work well when it is fully inflated. About 3/4 full seems right for me.

For reference, I have a non-pillow top seat.

Money well spent.

RR

Edited by RedRider

I got the medium size and seems to fit the front seat pretty good. It also fits the rear seat pretty good, too. The wife used it on our 1100 mile ride on our RSTD and she loved it. Compared to our previous ride of 850 miles without it, she was hurting. On the front seat, it does lift you up about an 1/2 inch.

Hi, I have an airhawk (wouldn't be without it) and the secret is not to put too much air in it. Just enough to feel the air moving around in the cushion when you sit down, it certainly stops the pressure on the butt. In fact I am sitting on one now on my computer chair :happy65:

never ride faster than your guardian angel:2133:can fly

• 4 months later...

:clap2:

I purchased the Airhawk II this summer for my annual bike trip. This has been one of the best purchases I could have made for travelling. In past years it's taken me a week to get over the pain in my butt from the 3000km trips we take. This year we rode 5100km (3060 miles) with no pain at all. You do have to play with it a bit to make sure you have the right amount of air in the cells but once that's set it's great. I won't take a long trip again without it.

By the way I'm riding a 2006 RSTD.

Airhawk is a waste of money. I have one and it is ok at first but soon you are squirming in the seat and the air bubbles start pinching your butt through the cover. last time I used it was on my way up to americade. At Americade I bought a gell pad and now the airhawk is a great dust collector. Get the Butt Butler mod or get a good gel pad.