IGNORED

Unusual cruise control problem...

Well,

I finally got all the bugs out of the starter clutch problem that I was having. Thanks for everyone's input on the problem to help me diagnose it and make the repairs, especially GeorgeS (he was a really big help and couldn't have done it without his telephone assistance).

Now I have another wierd problem that reared it's ugly head for only the second time since I have owned this Venture (19 months so far). I needed to give my throtle hand a rest when riding today and decided to set the cruise. I hit the power button on the cruise module, all the lights indicated proper functioning and the pressed the "set" control on the handlebar. The bike immediately lost all electrical function and died.

After coasting to the side of the road, I turned the ignition off and then back to the run position. The bike started right up. I made it home, but was afraid to try the cruise again for fear of the same results.

In case you are wondering if this may be somehow tied to my starter clutch repairs... I don't think so. The cruise did this exact same thing once before back last fall. After that incident it has worked flawlessly untill today.

Any ideas?

12 V " to " the Venture Cruiz system, comes from the " Ignition Fuse "

Apparently something in the Cruiz control system, was causeing a voltage drop ( or excessive load ) on that circuit.

Probably dropped the voltage on that circuit, thus not high enough voltage to the TCI to keep fireing the Ignition system.

This would have the same effect as the " Engine Stop " switch, being turned to the " Stop " position.

See, page 7-135 of the service manual, for the Schematic of the Cruiz system, see the Input " E " power source to the cruiz " Power " switch,

Check all the wireing cable Plug connectors going to the cruiz control switch, the cruixe control unit, and the Vacuum pump.

Also, check the cable assembly that goes to the Instrument panel with the three light bulbs at the ignition switch. This cable could eaisly have become pinched, or shorted wire in that area, there is also a pull apart plug under that panel.

Basicly, what I am saying, is, any dead short, or high resistance short of the 12v circuits in the Cruiz control system, will Remove Power from your TCI, which explains the fact that your engine Quit running.

Thanks, again, George!

Man, you are a life saver. I was thinking possibly a short somewhere, but had not idea where to start looking for it. I'll get right on this. It would explain some other wierd electrical gremlins that have caused other miscelaneous problems that I have seen since owning this bike... (Radio blinks out from time-to-time, sometimes the air compressor doesn't display when the switch is in the accessory position, and also the cruise problem).

I'll keep you updated.

Boody, given your various electrical bugs, I'd guess a bad ground. I dunno where the engine and frame grounds are on a Venture, but somewhere there are ground wires that come out of the harness and screw to the frame and engine.

Jeremy