IGNORED

Frame question

Lone Eagle

I had a friend of mine go down on his 1300 on Sunday - hit the back end of a car (not paying attention). Fortunately, he is alright with only a broken finger. However, he sent me an e-mail this morning - with the following question - and I didn't know how to answer it - maybe some of you may have some thoughts???? I believe he was going slower than 20MPH - as he was in a small tourist town - with a lot of Sunday traffic - a Mercedes hit the brakes abruptly - he had turned his head - and hit the car - flying over the handlebar. Here was his question?

The preliminary is that my bike isn't totaled. I haen't seen it since the accident and didn't have a chance to inspect it then, they had me strapped down as a precaution. However, I understand the forks are bent, etc. The guy at the yard where it was taken told me he thought the freeway bar saved most the side it was laying on.

When I was laying on the ground, the front of the bike was pointing away from the impact, all I could see was the tires and undercarriage, it was on it's left side. So, after impact, the bike had to have turned roughly 90 degrees. It will be interesting (sad) to see.

The only thing regarding the bike that concernes me at this point is the ultimate integrity of the frame. Do you think it should be a worry? In your travels have you heard of problems in this regard? Any advice?

Another members bike was in a wreck and we took measurements off of my bike and compared it to his. It all looked ok with the exception of the wraparound rear section, which we was able to square away with no problem. Look for the obvious cracks. Jack it up and see if any stress cracks appear anywhere, especially around the fork/neck area as well as the swing arm area. You didnt say if it was a 1st gen or a 2nd gen. The 1st gens have a funky skeletal framework under the fairing that can get out of whack.

If it is insured, which I can't imagine it isn't, the insurance company will want to make sure it's OK before they pay out... Just take it to a GOOD shop and let the pros make sure....

Wrecked bikes are a lot more dangerous to just assume everything looks good on... BE SURE... would hate to see a frame split in the middle of a switch back 6 months later.