IGNORED

Dumb Jack question

SilvrT

I got one of those jacks everyone uses (like a harbour freight one or a Can Tire one)... my "dumb" question is... what are or is the process of going about getting the bike jacked up. Mine has the foot pedal. What do you do... position it under the bike, sit on the bike, and start pumping it with your foot or what? ... and how do you line it up properly ... I don't have an adapter so was thinking about using hockey pucks (like I've seen suggested somewhere in here).

:think: :scratchchin:

Sitting on the bike is ILL ADVISED, unless someone else is operating the jack! Plus, this or another person would need to be around if you wanted to sit on it when putting it back on the ground, but NEVER sit on the bike while on the jack! IT IS NOT STABLE ENOUGH!

Anyway...

With the bike on the side stand, slide the jack under the bike form the right side. Place two hockey pucks on the jack so they line up with the frame on the left side. The forward puck will need to have a chunk taken out of it to get around the side stand switch. Use a hacksaw or Reciprocating saw for this. You can't take out too much, so be generous with the notching; as long as there's more than 2/3 of it left the remaining puck will still be strong enough to support the bike.

While lying on the ground, slowly work the pedal by hand until the pucks/jack arms make contact with the frame. You should even be able to get the bike to lift slightly this way, taking a little slack out of the suspension.

Place your second set of pucks on the right side of the jack. At this point you may stand and SLOWLY pump the pedal by foot until the bike goes upright. Make sure the right side pucks align on the frame and not the pipes! Note that the side stand stays in the DOWN position. This also makes it easier for when you are lowering the bike as you can lean it right over on it as it makes floor contact.

If all is well, pump away until the bike is at a sufficient height to do what ever work you need, preferably activating one of the locking steps. Then, STRAP THE BIKE DOWN! Because of jack positioning and the center of weight on a Venture, they tend to look like the bike is going uphill on the jack, even if you unloaded your saddlebags and trunk. STRAP THE BIKE DOWN across the seat (or the frame under the seat if it is removed) and in front of the gas tank over the frame (NOT through the steering head as you can cause damage there, plus it's a tight fit).

If you want, grab some Wite-Out and mark where the pucks are one the jack arms. Then, once the bike is off the jack, notch out the grooves in the rubber on the jack arms (I have a Craftsman jack) so the pucks will (1) always be in the right place for lifting and (2) won't so easily get knocked off the arms if you bump the jack as you are positioning it under the bike (very frustrating!).

What should I do, I have a motorcycle jack but because I have the center stand it's all tipsy topsy when I try to lift it. There's is no center point that's solid with that center stand in the way. Anyone have any ideas around that.

When I saw the title to this thread I thought you had a ? just for me!-Jack:think:

awwwwwwwwwww so sowwy Jack... didn't mean to cause you to feel unwanted!

:rotf: :rotf:

Gimme time bud... I'll come up with one.... JUST FOR YOU! :D

I have the CTC jack. I've been using pieces of 2x4 but I like the puck idea better. I'm always afraid the wood will split.

When I'm putting the jack under, I put a 2x4 under the side stand so the bike is more upright to start.

Good "tip" !

The first detailed description above was very good, so I'll only add a few comments about my method.

I prefer to use 2X2 pieces instead of hockey pucks - no real reason except I have done it that way from the beginning and didn't want to buy and modify a puck. I cut one 2X2X4 that I put on the front left side of the jack just in front of the side stand switch. A 2X2 is the only thing that fits here. It is possible to use one longer piece of 2X2 on the rear jack arm, but the angled metal piece in the middle of the frame is kinda in the way, so I eventually just cut that piece in half, allowing me to position each piece just slightly angled to miss the obstruction. Of course, 2x4 pieces on either side of the rear arm would be fine too and provide a larger contact area. Whatever size piece you use on the right side of the front arm must not stick out too far on the front edge or the emergency lock arm on the Craftsman jack will hang up on it as the jack gets high. I use a 2X4 piece here with the front corner cut off to allow that lock arm to function properly.

Once all the pieces are properly placed, I simply raise the jack slowly after it first contacts the left frame, causing the bike to stand up straight all by itself. But do this slowly so there is no chance of the bike rocking too fast to the right side.

One more caution - the first time you let the bike down, be VERY VERY cautious of how fast you release the jack pressure! At least with the Craftsman jack, they tend to drop VERY fast even when you think you are being careful! I have personally used four different Craftsman bike jacks, and only one did not do this. As was said above, never put up the side stand while on the jack so you don't have to remember to put it back down. I simply stand at the jack on the right side, holding the right handlebar, and as the jack goes down I let the bike gently lay back over on the side stand. It is all a one-man job. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose