IGNORED

Cabot Trail

highwayrydr

While it was many years ago, I have gone east several times. Mother is right, the Cabot Trail is fabulous. However, there are many other fabulous roads and scenery that you can take in. In my view, for example, parts of Vermont and New Hamshire are also amazing, and you can do a loop to cover this area. The Yarmouth to Bar Harbour Ferry is a good option for this.

Great scenery on the west side. I'd recommend going up the west side and turn around and go back once you get to the top. Don't recommend going out to Meat Cove. There's about 15 miles of gravel and the further you go the bigger the rocks. Brad T was right about the condition of the roads out there. NOT biker friendly. Always seemed to be rough in the corners too. I was there in 2006.

So you are saying that once onto the island head up the west side to the northern most point then turn and head south?

Also. Is this the cliff riding, being from Maine and all, i would love to see cliff riding!!!

You got it. The west side is beautiful. Reminds me of the pictures I've seen of Hwy. 101 in California. The east side is pretty too but not spectacular.

I think it's a bit over rated. I was a little disappointed, after riding in the Rockies. All depends what you like I guess.

[ATTACH]28934[/ATTACH][ATTACH]28929[/ATTACH][ATTACH]28930[/ATTACH][ATTACH]28931[/ATTACH][ATTACH]28932[/ATTACH][ATTACH]28933[/ATTACH]

Great ride. Rode last September with another couple. Best views are on the West side traveling either North or South. The roads on the Cabot Trail within the Cape Breton Highlands National Park are great-the balance of the Trail is so-so, but better than some we traveled in Alaska. Be sure and stop at the "Rusty Anchor" for good seafood. We went to where the gravel started into Meat Cove (northern most point in Nova Scotia) and decided we had nothing to prove, and continued down the East side (watch out for Moose). Also had a great ride on Prince Edward Island just not as spectacular!

:mo money:

Edited by Shipper
Add pics

It is a great ride. Here are a couple of events going on this summer in Cape Breton. Both involve the Trail.

http://www.capebretonbikefest.ca/

http://ride4thecure.ca/

And this is happening on the West end of NS, not too far from the Bar Harbour/Yarmouth ferry.

www.wharfratrally.com

And while you are in NS, the Sunrise Trail and the South Shore from Halifax to Yarmouth are nice rides also. I live in New Brunswick, but like to ride in NS. When I'm not cruising around the New England states :farmer:

Enjoy your trip,

John

[ATTACH]28934[/ATTACH][ATTACH]28929[/ATTACH][ATTACH]28930[/ATTACH][ATTACH]28931[/ATTACH][ATTACH]28932[/ATTACH][ATTACH]28933[/ATTACH]

Great ride. Rode last September with another couple. Best views are on the West side traveling either North or South. The roads on the Cabot Trail within the Cape Breton Highlands National Park are great-the balance of the Trail is so-so, but better than some we traveled in Alaska. Be sure and stop at the "Rusty Anchor" for good seafood. We went to where the gravel started into Meat Cove (northern most point in Nova Scotia) and decided we had nothing to prove, and continued down the East side (watch out for Moose). Also had a great ride on Prince Edward Island just not as spectacular!

:mo money:

PS: What happened to my pictures? They were there just a while ago. I worked hard putting them in (newbie). How about it Admin-what was wrong? :bang head:

Wife and I did this in July 2007. We were told to do the cabot trail counterclockwise which we did because you got the best veiws. Started out in fog and it got progressively worse until we reach the top and then it instantly cleared. Wow what a veiw.

We also took in some whale watching around Pleasant Bay and we were not disapointed.

We stayed at Baddeck at the Telegraph Hose and cottages. Roads are a quite rough in places but I have riden on a lot worse.

As mentioned earlier we to travelled though Maine, Vermont and New Hamshire and were not dissappointed.

Would we go again. You bet only this time I would make time for Newfoundland as well.

Bob

Wife and I did this in July 2007. We were told to do the cabot trail counterclockwise which we did because you got the best veiws. Started out in fog and it got progressively worse until we reach the top and then it instantly cleared. Wow what a veiw.

We also took in some whale watching around Pleasant Bay and we were not disapointed.

We stayed at Baddeck at the Telegraph Hose and cottages. Roads are a quite rough in places but I have riden on a lot worse.

As mentioned earlier we to travelled though Maine, Vermont and New Hamshire and were not dissappointed.

Would we go again. You bet only this time I would make time for Newfoundland as well.

Bob

Its good to hear some comments about the Cabot Trail, there are about 10 of going there in July, staying in Beddeck doing the Trail.... Mother told me that if the speed limit on a curve says 20kms you had better be doing that..... then going down to Halifax to see the Tall Ships, hopefully the weather will co-operate.

Ian

We did the Trail a few years back I thought it was great ....then I did the Rockies and was Wowed !!!!....but when you get to sit back and think about ...Cabot is pretty wow too ...just in a different type of way ...it's like our Rockies compaired to the Alps in Europe ...their beautiful also ...but greener then the Rockies ....but still have their own Wow factor .... I come to believe most places have their own beauty !!

Hopewell ROcks, Cape George, Peggy's Cove, Cabot Trial, everything! Wasnt a bad day of riding in the week and half we were there....

http://picasaweb.google.com/ablumny/NovaScotiaJune2008#

.and despite the dirt road to Meat Cove, ....

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_9EMyKcng_yA/SE6VrJR1P7I/AAAAAAAAAZM/JE9Dr4Cj2I0/s800/Nova%20Scotia%20June%2008%20287.jpg

it was totally worth it:http://lh3.ggpht.com/_9EMyKcng_yA/SE6Vv7yplQI/AAAAAAAAAZ0/P5ndcaYbBN8/s800/Nova%20Scotia%20June%2008%20298.jpg

Edited by ablumny

i found a motorcycle link to Nova Scotia tourism, they will send a free info pack, and you can also purchase a DVD tour if you want. see below

if you get time while you are down there, look into the Alexnder Graham Bell museum, i was amazed at the many things he tinkered with. you can do the museum visit in 2 to 4 hours. i took over 4 hours.

there are many spectacular coastal roads that we did, stopping for a swim, stopping for pictures, meeting fellow motorcycle enthusiasts. everyone seems to have time to stop, say hi, and have a chat.

if you go to Lunenburg, there is an old fort which they have fully restored, restaurants serve time period food that is grown in the gardens on site.

also look for the Tall Ships if they are in the harbour when you are there. they are amazing.

cheers, Scott

www.ridenovascotia.com