IGNORED

Dorked-up Barnett Pressure Plate Install !?

fredster66

I just installed a Barnett pressure plate on my '05 RSTD. I followed the instructions (which were cryptic at best), looked at Freebird's stuff, too. But obviously I've done something obviously wrong. The clutch won't engage at all now. I can pull in the lever (which doesn't feel right) pop it into 1st, and nothing happens.

So the first question is: What did I do wrong?

The second questions is: Why do I try to do things like this???

Any help with the first question would really be appreciated!

I just installed a Barnett pressure plate on my '05 RSTD. I followed the instructions (which were cryptic at best), looked at Freebird's stuff, too. But obviously I've done something obviously wrong. The clutch won't engage at all now. I can pull in the lever (which doesn't feel right) pop it into 1st, and nothing happens.

So the first question is: What did I do wrong?

The second questions is: Why do I try to do things like this???

Any help with the first question would really be appreciated!

STEP BACK AWAY FROM THE BIKE AND TAKE A DEEP BREATH !!!!

Now re-read the instruction and the posting from the previous post and go through it step by step you must have missed a step or some simple thing. We have all been there and done that!

Deep breath. Have one beer and start in at it again. You go plenty of help right here.

Let us know what you find. I will bet it is something simple it always is.

Bubber

Edited by Bubber
spelling

It was mentioned in the other thread that was referenced. For some reason there is one position the Barnett plate can be positioned where it will not allow the plunger to disengage the clutch.

Take the side cover off, remove the pressure plate, spin it one bolt hole and reinstall it. You don't have to reinstall the side cover to see if the clutch will engage and disengage. You can do that with the cover off and of course with the engine turned off. Pull the clutch lever and you should see the plate move and the friction plates separate.

Thanks for the great tips! I'm seriously grateful I don't have to drain $45 worth of oil out of 'er.

I'll be back at it in the morning, just as soon as I can find that 5mm allen wrench I had to shorten to get to those 3 bottom bolts. *sigh.* Getting old sucks. Anyway, I never took the plates out - they're still in place (& probably secretly sneering at me).

The "DLBCAL Method" sounds like a good place to start - there really isn't any indication on that happy purple plate as to where it should line up. So I'll turn it 1 bolt-hole & see what happens.

I was told by a friend that this was a 1-1/2 beer job. Hopefully it won't take another 6-pack!

Thanks again for your help, y'all. I bumped the plate one hole to the R and works like a champ now. It would be a nice addition, i think, to the Barnett install manual that points out the fact that you can check the assembly for proper operation before you bolt the cover back on - and check for that gap when fitting it. Oh, well . . . only about 1 beer this time around.

The $45 worth oil? It's called Holy Cow 20-50 racing oil. Heh.