IGNORED

Chrome Rear Brake pedal - a bit peeved

Sunman

Well, with all the nice weather approaching, and plans for rides in the making, I was checking over my bike, looking for anything amiss. And I found it. In reality it is not a big deal, but I will tell you what it is. I have been trying to dress up my 2006 RSTD since I bought it new last year. I have added many chrome bits, for safety reasons of course. ISO grips, LED tail light, chrome shifter pegs etc. And a chrome rear brake pedal. You can see the attached picture. It is chrome, with 3 rubber strips for traction. Well, 1 of the rubber strips has come off, and is lost and most likely lonely and scared along the side of some random road in Ontario. I noticed this today. I checked the other 2 strips, and they are hanging on by the slightest of threads it feels like. I will certainly have to remove them before my next ride. Now, the brake pedal will still function without the rubber strips I am sure. But here is the thing. I went to check the site that I bought the pedal from, to see if they still had them in stock, I was going to complain, and ask for a replacement, or see if it qualified for warranty. But I noticed something. On the same page the pedal is listed on, there are replacement rubber strips and glue available. What strikes me is, the rubber is NOT designed to fall off I am sure, but it happens so often, that they sell replacements, should Yamaha not redesign it so that this common problem is solved, rather than "re-sell" a fix? Do you know what I mean? It is clear from the 1 missing piece, that the adhesive does NOT stick to the highly polished chrome coating. If I do decide to buy replacements, do you think I should just scuff up the area covered by the rubber with a dremel or is there a better way to adhere it? I am going to remove the other rubber pieces later, and who knows, maybe I will like the look of solid chrome. I am not sure if I will noticed the lower traction, but I cannot see my foot slipping off the brake pedal. What do you think I should do? Ask for a replacement, or just suck it up and buy the replacement rubbers and glue?

Sonny

Hey Sonny,

I have the same pedal and am missing 1ea. strip. Can you post the web site for the replacements? I would like to replace mine. The only thing I would worry about when scuffing up the chrome is corrosion. I'll have to see what type of glue they send before I decide to do that.

Smely

Hey Sonny,

I have the same pedal and am missing 1ea. strip. Can you post the web site for the replacements? I would like to replace mine. The only thing I would worry about when scuffing up the chrome is corrosion. I'll have to see what type of glue they send before I decide to do that.

Smely

Here you go. I can certainly reccommend this site, and their service. So far at least. Here is the direct link, I think it should work for you.

http://www.motorsportssupercenter.com/pages/catalogs/detail/26/198/398/20128/1/0/0/1/4/90/68/330/billet-brake-pedal-cover.aspx

I just put the same break peddle cover on my 07 RSTD. Thanks for the heads up and you rubber strips. Will keep an eye on it. I do agree......... for that kind of money they "shouldn't" come off.grrrrrrr

With the boots a lot of us wear, we get a pretty good grip on rubber - it is easy to pull something off. I doubt the manufacturers can attach them securely enough.

The highway boards on my wifes wing from kury are missing a strip too. Those are pretty small pieces of rubber to try to stand up to the abuse they get. I would think that just chrome would definitely have a slippage problem when it's a little damp.

Sunny, I think that that is a common occurence with that part - happened to mine as well. I would probably concur with what mountainhorsega said. I just got the replacement pieces, scuffed up the area real well, and put on the new piece - has lasted me about a year + and about 25,000 miles. :080402gudl_prv:

I had the same problem. Mine came off the first ride. I bought some black rubber gasket material at NAPA that was thicker and stronger. I mixed some clear epoxy. That was about 8 years ago and I have not had an issue since.

Edited by Bvinson

The next time any of you try to glue one of the strips back on, try 3M 5200. It's a caulk that's not instant stick, but after it sets up IT WILL NOT COME OFF and it adheres to everything. MOF you can barely cut the stuff with a knife after it sets. We use it in the marine industry to mount deck equipment that isn't meant to be moved anytime soon. Lifeline stanchions etc. I'd go find a small piece of 3/16" or 1/4" rubber and make my own pads. From the picks the original pads aren't thick enough to protect the chrome... IMHO... :)

Guest Saddletramp

I had the same problem with mine as well as others in the chapter. I replaced it with the new pedal cover part # str-1d727-12-03. This part has a rubber insert between two pieces of chrome rather than three glued on pieces. I belive it will last much better. Full retail is $86.95 but you all know about Yamaha Sports center in Seattle Wa.

I had the same problem with mine as well as others in the chapter. I replaced it with the new pedal cover part # str-1d727-12-03. This part has a rubber insert between two pieces of chrome rather than three glued on pieces. I belive it will last much better. Full retail is $86.95 but you all know about Yamaha Sports center in Seattle Wa.

See, that sounds like a better made piece. Is that a Yamaha OEM accessory? I guess I got one of the first design then. Thanks for letting me know there is a better alternative.

The next time any of you try to glue one of the strips back on, try 3M 5200. It's a caulk that's not instant stick, but after it sets up IT WILL NOT COME OFF and it adheres to everything. MOF you can barely cut the stuff with a knife after it sets. We use it in the marine industry to mount deck equipment that isn't meant to be moved anytime soon. Lifeline stanchions etc. I'd go find a small piece of 3/16" or 1/4" rubber and make my own pads. From the picks the original pads aren't thick enough to protect the chrome... IMHO... :)

So where would you suggest I look for this stuff? A marine store? Do you think I could glue it right to the chrome?

Will that part fit on a Tour Deluxe? It states that it is for a Road / Stratoliner - I do like the look of that and it is a little bigger.