I have an '83 standard.

Lately, I have noticed alot of bouncing in the front end. I've only had the bike for around a month, and I didn't notice it at first. I do know that one fork seal is leaking some. I am running 14 pounds of air in the forks. It also takes a second or two to raise up after I lift the bike off of the sidestand.

Fork rebuild is not an option at the moment, and I was wondering if I just drain the fork oil and change it out, if that will help for a while. Could the bouncing be from the forks being low on oil?

Thanks. I had let some air out before, and that's when the seal started leaking...was dry before that.

The manual calls for 12-18 PSI, so I had set it to 14. I will get some fork oil and drain/refill with what 5lbs?

I will replace the seals and springs when I can allow it to be down a day or so. Too busy right now.

I changed the fork oil today. I added 13.5 ounces of oil to each fork, and then added 7lbs of air to the forks. It still has some bounce, but not too bad. I still have a wobble around 75-80 mph. I can make the bike wobble by just wiggling on the seat a little bit. It shouldn't wobble near that much. The steering head feels tight. I guess I will tear into the swingarm bearings next, and maybe one o' them there fancy fork braces. Gotta get rid of this wobble.

By my book, if you still have the stock springs in there you might as well fill the forks with a Cherry Slushie. After changing mine to Progressives that wobble was gone. Keep in mind that I had mounted new Avons at the same time and even added a better fork brace later on but the springs they come with are junk. Mine is rock steady now.

I noticed yesterday when my wife was with me, it didn't wobble anyway near as much. I even took it up to 90 with no wobble.

I wonder if I may have too much air in the rear shock. I have 45lbs in there. The manual says 14-72 psi.

Does that make any sense?

Brand new Elite 3s. 32PSI up front, and 40PSI rear, as per the manual. Had some wobble before changing tires also.

Why would the wobble decrease greatly with her on the bike? She only weighs like 125lbs.

Sitting here thinking about it. It is strange that passenger would make difference. Set front tire at 40 lbs rear at 42. 7 to 10 lbs for front forks and about 35 to 40 for rear shock. Maybe little more if you are over 250 lbs

There is a good thread here somewhere on how to adjust forks.

Well Dan, I finally got the chance to ride today, so I did all the things you suggested. The front wheel bounce is not as bad now, but the wobble is still there. It starts to wobble around 80, and gets worse with acceleration. Slightest movements like shifting will set it off too. It feels like is more in the front, so I guess I'll be checking out the steering head this weekend.

Thanks for the suggestions.