IGNORED

Ham Radio Ventureres.... Got a cool solution...

timgray

I have been researching this for weeks now. and I have one on it's way to me...

the Yaesu FTM-10R dual band water and dust proof motorcycle radio.

It does 2 meter, 440, has a FM/AM receiver, allows ipod input and can wire up to two headsets and has intercom between them as well as audio sharing. It also has a stereo audio amp to drive my speakers in the faring. On second gens it looks like it would fit in the cassette location. on first gens it can pretty much mount anywhere. This will allow me to stay single antenna and still feed my ham radio hobby.

and if I want to be "naughty" I can mod the radio for Marrs and CAP operation and transmit/recieve on the FRS frequencies to talk to the other guys in the riding group. 440mhz on low power is 3 watts, so if you stick to the high channel numbers and get a GMRS license you will be "technically" legal. just transmitting on a radio without the correct FCC type certification.

Guest tx2sturgis

The ftm-10 will not do crossband. I own 2 of them. Also, you dont want to mount the highpower version in that cassette compartment unless you provide some means of cooling it. The low power version can be mounted anywhere, since its comepletely waterproof. If you plan on hardwiring it to your headset/intercom, be sure to order the interface cable.

Edited by tx2sturgis
Correction

Good to know, the manual that is incredibly poorly written eludes to crossband operation.

I rarely do crossband so it's not a big loss to me. I wish I could find someone that has tried it's intercom feature. I cant find any info about it other than a small blurb talking about it's capability but nothing about if the two headsets can talk without keying up.

Also I cant find out if I can use bluetooth and use a hard wired ptt switch instead of using the bluetooth PTT.

I'm still excited about installing it on the bike. I am going to enjoy doing SAR on the bike as well as runs to hamfests where I can chat easily with the rest of the caravan.

I just wish that icom or kenwood would not ignore the motorcycle market.

Good to know, the manual that is incredibly poorly written eludes to crossband operation.

I rarely do crossband so it's not a big loss to me. I wish I could find someone that has tried it's intercom feature. I cant find any info about it other than a small blurb talking about it's capability but nothing about if the two headsets can talk without keying up.

Also I cant find out if I can use bluetooth and use a hard wired ptt switch instead of using the bluetooth PTT.

I'm still excited about installing it on the bike. I am going to enjoy doing SAR on the bike as well as runs to hamfests where I can chat easily with the rest of the caravan.

I just wish that icom or kenwood would not ignore the motorcycle market.

Tim, see post #5, there are several guys there talking about BT, and using it as intercom, ptt instead of vox, etc.

I love to have this rig installed on my Venture, but there will be no way that I will leave the radio mounted and the bike by itself waiting to be stolen. :256:

Not sure if I can easily hook it on and off the bike and then walk away just like my GPS unit. The rig has great potential and I'll be checking it out in person with my buddy once we get to take a ride to HRO over in Delaware.

The radio itself could be mounted any where it can get air, yet be out of the elements. The face/control unit is remote so it can go any where up to 30 feet away. It snaps onto the holder and by using a cat5 cable and male/male connector you can easily facilitate just unplugging and walking away.