IGNORED

New Venture...Maybe

soler

I am contemplating buying a new Venture. A couple of dealers have some '08s they are trying to sell. So, what are some of the goods and bads of this bike? I have a VTX 1800, and by the time I get all the upgrades done, I'll be several thousand dollars into it, and it will be setup like the Venture. But the Venture is already done:)

Here are a few of the things holding me back...

1. Carbuerated. Are you kidding me? This is 2009. I plan to ride this thing all over, and don't want to rejet just so I can ride up in Colorado. 4 Carbs...that would be a pain.

2. 1300 vs. my 1800. How is the power on this thing? It weighs as much as my VTX, and I don't want to be unhappy with the power.

3. Price. I just seems to me that a carbuerated 1300 touring bike is priced a little too high. Not that I want a Goldwing, but I can get a new one ('08) for only a thousand more.

4. Mileage. What could I get, realistically?

5. Anyone teach the MSF ERC course and use this for your demos? How does it do?

Thoughts, inputs appreciated! Tell me what you think of this bike.

Thanks.

Edited by soler
spelling

that 1300 makes right at 100 hp, and has plenty of power for two up riding with trailer and luggage for a trip. I am not familiar with your 1800, but it is fair to assume you will notice some difference, but maybe instead of an excess of power, you have at least more than enough to get the job done and have fun? Most people think their RSV is plenty powerful.

Carbs? they are pretty painless, and in most instances, riding in the mountains isn't a big deal, yes, it will be down some on power, but then even FI vehicles lose some power. If you LIVE in the mountains and ride up and down greatly varying heights all the time, then maybe you should stick with FI, but if you just visit once in a great while, it shouldn't be a problem and re-jetting won't be worth it on occasional trips.

Also, those carbs mean no cat converters. That may be a good or bad thing depending on how "green" you are. The RSV should get 40 to 45 mpg on the highway, normal load.

See if you can get a demo ride, because only you can judge if the power is enough. I know that my '86 VR (same basic bike mechanically as the current RSV) has more than enough power to keep up with some hot rod Gold Wing and BMW groups that I ride with.

I don't think you will notice much difference (besides fairing, trunk, bags, etc...) between the VTX1800 and the Venture (I just traded my VTX1300 for the Venture in June and I was setting it up like a touring bike too). Just have to remember that the Venture has a higher stance so feels more top heavy.

I am contemplating buying a new Venture. A couple of dealers have some '08s they are trying to sell. So, what are some of the goods and bads of this bike? I have a VTX 1800, and by the time I get all the upgrades done, I'll be several thousand dollars into it, and it will be setup like the Venture. But the Venture is already done:)

1. Carbuerated. Are you kidding me? This is 2009. I plan to ride this thing all over, and don't want to rejet just so I can ride up in Colorado. 4 Carbs...that would be a pain. There is no need to rejet to ride anywhere. My 05 RSV performs great even at 12,000 feet. Carbs have been used for a hundred years and that technology works very well. I have nothing against fuel injection; infact, I do prefer multi-point injection over carbs, but IF AND ONLY IF it is properly done. Most manufacturers have taken years to get theirs to work correctly after they first switched (BMW is one infamous example of how bad fuel injection can be). These carbs work fine!

2. 1300 vs. my 1800. How is the power on this thing? It weighs as much as my VTX, and I don't want to be unhappy with the power. As far as I am concerned, the stock 97HP is absolutely all I could ever want in a touring bike. The sucker flat moves for me under any conditions. BUT, it is not a V-twin, so if you ride it like a VTX, it will be a dog. The short stroke V4 needs the revs. Unless you have hit the rev limiter at least once in 2nd and third gears, you will have zero idea how this bike really performs. Do NOT grab a fist full of throttle below 3,000 RPM - the bike will shudder and hammer and have a hard time getting out of it's own way until the revs get up to where they need to be. You can cruise fine all day long at 2,000 RPM, but better down shift before you try to impress someone on the acceleration! If you are really going to jerk it wide open, you should be around 4,000 RPM. That is about 80 MPH in top gear.

3. Price. I just seems to me that a carbuerated 1300 touring bike is priced a little too high. Not that I want a Goldwing, but I can get a new one ('08) for only a thousand more. I can't even understand this. The RSV comes with everything stock, the Wing almost nothing (referring to the touring stuff that I find important). You can buy an 09 RSV out the door for $16,000 very easily, and even less if you know what you are doing and have the time. To get a comparably equipped 08 Wing, you are looking at $24,000. Actually, that $24,000 negotiated price three weeks ago included grip heaters and Honda GPS, so let's be conservative and say at least $22,000 for comparison.

4. Mileage. What could I get, realistically? This IS one of the drawbacks to me - I think a touring bike should do better than the RSV. 37 or 38 MPG is pretty typical if riding at 75 MPH. You will see numbers in the 40s if you are running 60 or below (typical if enjoying the twisties in the hills).

5. Anyone teach the MSF ERC course and use this for your demos? How does it do? I don't know about teaching, but I do know several people who have done the course on stock RSV with zero problems.

This bike is the absolute best touring bike available to me! Absolutely the most cost effective, but much more important is reliability, comfort, and functionality. I personally find the Wing the absolutely most UNCOMFORTABLE touring bike. I am 6'5" and cannot even sit on it without my shins hitting. In addition, I hate the cramped leg position, no floor boards, and lean forward position - the RSV is exactly the opposite in all of these important areas for me to feel comfortable for many hours on a bike. The stock RSV seat is completely comfortable to me for about 600 miles without a break, and after I put a bead seat cover on it, I have done numerous 1200+ mile days with complete comfort!

The 5 year unlimited mile warranty removes any concerns about reliability up front, but even without the warranty, this bike tends to be VERY VERY reliable. The rear shock is a weak point - works great for any load, but often fails way sooner than it should (replaced under warranty, of course). Make sure you do good test ride on any RSV you are seriously considering, a very few of them have an obnoxious engine whine that can make ownership miserable. There is LOTS of discussion of this available here if you do a little looking, but remember that it is a small subset of the bikes - do an extensive test ride to know if you like the one you are going to buy.

The RSV comes with two different brands of tires stock - Dunlop 404s are just average and the bike will feel fine. These are the preferred stock tires. Unfortunately, most come with Bridgestone tires, and the stock Brickstones on the RSV are the most unmitigated miserable piles of excrement you can run! If you test ride a bike with these, it will feel VERY heavy at slow speeds. Lots more information here on how those tires are bad, but I wanted to warn you that the heavy feeling is NOT a problem with the RSV and will go totally away with decent tires.

Last downside to me is the single stock tail/brake light. It sucks. But that is very easy to fix with only small $$.

Thanks.

The choice of a bike is a very unique and personal thing for each rider. My comments are above in Red. For me, there is only one acceptable touring bike sold today, and that is the RSV. Good luck on finding something you like!

Goose

Oh, just for reference, I do ride the bike a bit - I have over 60,000 miles on my 05, plus an additional 13,000 miles on an 07 I owned for a few months.

Edited by V7Goose
Correct comment on Wing Price

Soler, I will try to answer a few of these questions as best I can.

1. Carbuerated. Are you kidding me? This is 2009. I plan to ride this thing all over, and don't want to rejet just so I can ride up in Colorado. 4 Carbs...that would be a pain.

The carboration is reliable and solid. You can ride thru the highest passes and not have to rejet, although you will feel a small loss of power at the higher elevations. With the proper tools (many members here have them - Morgan CarbTune II about $100) they are easy to sync. Would it be nice to have FI - you bet. However, I have taken my carborated RSV all over the US without trouble. The engine is pretty much bulletproof.

2. 1300 vs. my 1800. How is the power on this thing? It weighs as much as my VTX, and I don't want to be unhappy with the power.

The Venture will drive differently than the VTX. The 1800 VTX has lots of torque at low RPM. The Venture 1300 engine likes to run at higher RPMs. That is where the powerband is. I have riden 2 up pulling a trailer and have no trouble with power. This is a torquey (OK, might not be a real word) motor. You won't be pulling wheelies with it, but I don't expect that is what you are looking for.

3. Price. I just seems to me that a carbuerated 1300 touring bike is priced a little too high. Not that I want a Goldwing, but I can get a new one ('08) for only a thousand more.

If you can get a GW for only $1000 more, that would create a quandry. However, both are solid bikes that will run to 200,000 miles with basic maintenance. The Venture certainly looks better. Both are very comfortable for the average guy. The stock Venture is more comfortable for taller/long legged riders. You can get custom seats and extended highway pegs/boards for the GW that can help a taller rider.

4. Mileage. What could I get, realistically? High 30's to mid-40's depending on loading and driving style.

5. Anyone teach the MSF ERC course and use this for your demos? How does it do? I don't teach the course, but I took the ERC with the Venture. As a matter of fact, did it twice - once alone and once with my wife on the back. It does well but the low speed handling takes some getting used to. I have since added levelling links which changes the handling geometry and makes low speed maneuvering much better. The same effect can be achieved by installing a skinnier front tire. Haven't retaken the class since making the upgrade, but will take it this summer if the local folks offer it.

The Venture gets looks and compliments anywhere I go. It is comfortable for long distances and is very well behaved both on the highway and in the twisties. For the money, it is a great bike. The 5 year standard warranty is also a nice feature.

Thanks.

To get a better response, tell us a little about yourself. Height, weight, and the type of riding you like to do. This is not really the best bike if you like to just tool around town - although neither is the VTX. But if you are into touring, the Venture is a comfortable, reliable, and good looking bike; and is the best value on the market.

And, of course, Welcome to the family.

RR

Thanks for the inputs. I'm going to ride one today and see what happens. I do all types of riding, but I was really setting up the VTX for touring. And I don't mind riding the X around town. It's a heavy bike, and most people don't like it in town very much, but I love it.

I'm 5'8, short legs. I was disappointed to see that Mustang doesn't offer the Mustang Vintage Wide Studded Touring Seat with Drivers Backrest. I emailed them and told them they should :think: I had it on my Shadow, and have one on my VTX. The seat height on the RSV is two inches higher than the VTX. That might be a problem, especially when riding two-up trying to hold the thing up!

Thanks again

SOLER

Enjoy the test ride. For your height, you should not have any problems. Personally, I do not find it difficult to ride around town and is definitely so fun to ride on the highways. The bike is well balanced and I do not plan to do any mechanical mods to it.

Let us know what you think after the test ride.

Goose's reply is spot on. I came from two GWs and the ergos are much better for me and I'm 5"9. Are there things I would change? Yes a few, but I've no desire to switch to a new bike. Mountains or sea level, 1-up or 2-up with a trailer, I've have very, very, good luck. I agrees with the others on fuel consumption.

This seems as good a place as any to ask my question since many of you have had both the Wing and Venture. I am contemplating updating my '96 Voyager (very nice, but I have the itch). My question is: I like to do much of my own repairs and maintenance when possible, how do the Wing and Venture compare in this area? The Venture certainly looks

more owner friendly.

Thanks.

the Venture. Our 07 will be 2 years old next month and rolling over to 60k miles.

A fellow rider just traded his RSV for a GW. he likes the additional power of the 6cyl - dislikes and side-winds. With all the plastic covers on the GW - it's like a sail with any kind of a cross-wind. Plastic also makes it difficult to service - since the covers must be removed to access the working parts.

just another comment about differences in riding style between VTX and RSV - as previously mentioned - RSV is most happy when reved-up.

no tractor pulling torque like a Vtwin.

I frequently the rev limiter in 2nd gear - 3rd - not so much as that's abot 100mph.

btw - over the weekend a C6 Vette tried to out-drag me on the on-ramp -- he lost!

:nanner:

the Venture. Our 07 will be 2 years old next month and rolling over to 60k miles.

A fellow rider just traded his RSV for a GW. he likes the additional power of the 6cyl - dislikes and side-winds. With all the plastic covers on the GW - it's like a sail with any kind of a cross-wind. Plastic also makes it difficult to service - since the covers must be removed to access the working parts.

just another comment about differences in riding style between VTX and RSV - as previously mentioned - RSV is most happy when reved-up.

no tractor pulling torque like a Vtwin.

I frequently the rev limiter in 2nd gear - 3rd - not so much as that's abot 100mph.

btw - over the weekend a C6 Vette tried to out-drag me on the on-ramp -- he lost!

:nanner:

Awesome mileage you've put in your '07 (60K) in 2 years. Where have you gone having put in that many miles. :think:

Yep, the RSV sure does love to rev high.

You can't go wrong with a Venture + this Forum = Rider Satisfication :guitarist 2::nanner:

This seems as good a place as any to ask my question since many of you have had both the Wing and Venture. I am contemplating updating my '96 Voyager (very nice, but I have the itch). My question is: I like to do much of my own repairs and maintenance when possible, how do the Wing and Venture compare in this area? The Venture certainly looks

more owner friendly.

Thanks.

I do most of my own maintenance and this bike is easier to work on. But the nice thing is that both are very, very reliable. Most of what you do on a GW or a Venture is just maintenance or customizing -which by definition is self-inflicted!

:bang head: