IGNORED

Considering buying a 1300 Venture

Hi All,

New member here. I currently ride a 84 GL 1200 and have done alot of work on it to bring it up to a reliable machine so I know all of the weak points to the Goldwing of those years. Can anyone tell me what the weak areas of the 86 or 87Venture 1300 model? The Goldwing is a great ride,how does the Venture measure up ?

My dad has an 84 Goldwing that I ride on occasion and I personally prefer my '86 Venture. while the Goldwing seems to have a lower center of gravity and handles well at low speeds, I think my Venture handles better at higher speeds. I also think that my Venture is more comfortable than the Wing, however that could be chalked up to personal preference, aftermarket seats (on the Wing) and just my personal bias towards Ventures.

As for weak areas, there's some here that would argue that the weak area is the fact it's not a 2nd gen. As a stock bike, it's a great ride, and while there's things that you can do to improve upon it (Superbrace, solid motor mounts, progressive fork springs, etc), if you can get your hands on one that's in good shape, you'll have yourself a great bike. To add to the fun, there's a lot of things that you can do with a 1300 Venture. We've got some people who have even gone as far as swapping out parts from v-max's onto their ventures, everything from final drives to cams to v-boost systems.

We've got one hell of an awesome group of people here that know just about everything there is to know about these bikes, so should you ever have a problem, you can always rely on someone here knowing how to fix it.

Welcome to the family and we look forward to seeing you around!

You can find lots of the good points of the 1300s just by trolling around the site. They're absolutely great bikes, but like every bike they have their issues.This thread might give you an understanding of what to watch out for as you look for one to purchase:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1066

Beats learning by trial and error! Good luck.

My 1300 '99 model has nearly 130,000 ks (over 80'000 miles) on the clock.

I cannot complain. It's quite cumfy on long trips, very reliable & runs smooth.

I love it. I don't think you can go too far wrong. Servicing at the regular

intervals is the key. Enjoy.

• 1 month later...

That pic doesn't look like a $300 bike. Methinks you probably scored.

The fairing half that shows in the pic is worth a significant portion of the $300.

For reference, a pic of the 88 I just bought for $500 is attached.

Well the update on this post is that I found an 84 Venture Royale a couple of weeks ago for $300.00. It runs but needs almost everything rebuilt. It does have a new rear tire . I guess a that price I can spend some $$$ on it.

If you bought that bike for $300 you scored big time

Well the update on this post is that I found an 84 Venture Royale a couple of weeks ago for $300.00. It runs but needs almost everything rebuilt. It does have a new rear tire . I guess a that price I can spend some $$$ on it.

Someone needs to get the cuffs out, you stole it....... :256::mugshot::cop:

Considering, the front fender trim & particularly the caliper / rotor trim pieces that are on it, are basically impossible to find.......

:mo money::mo money::mo money:

That pic doesn't look like a $300 bike. Methinks you probably scored.

The fairing half that shows in the pic is worth a significant portion of the $300.

For reference, a pic of the 88 I just bought for $500 is attached.

Hey MiCarl, I lived in Westland I think thats the name of the town for about 6mos.about 15 years ago. I used to work in Livonia for a company call Amsyn. Was your bike wrecked?

Fortunatley I have a great Goldwing that I ride now.

• 1 month later...

hey all, new here.

just bought a 96 1300, and I love it. I was just wondering what kind of long term miles I can look forward to on this bike? and was it worth the 2900.00 I paid??? it's very clean, fresg oil, both tires, tune up, and all othewr fluids at the beginning of this season. 48k miles

Keep up with the maintenance (oil changes, spark plugs, etc) and you can expect to be still riding it many years down the road. for reference, the first venture is confirmed to be still on the road.

hey all, new here.

just bought a 96 1300, and I love it. I was just wondering what kind of long term miles I can look forward to on this bike? and was it worth the 2900.00 I paid??? it's very clean, fresg oil, both tires, tune up, and all othewr fluids at the beginning of this season. 48k miles

The motors are pretty much bulletproof, so no worries theren 200K is not uncommon with good maintenance. Pricewise, I think you did just fine, not necessicarily a screaming deal but a pretty good one, with all that you have mentioned. Enjoy the new ride and try to get hook up with some local members at a meet and eat

:happy34:

• 3 weeks later...

How many miles ?

Brian H.

hey all, new here.

That my friend is a truly lovely bike!!!

except maybe for those really ugly leather bags on the back:innocent:, you should remove them immediately and mail them to me....:stickpoke::stickpoke::stickpoke::crackup::crackup::crackup:

Really you done GOOD!!!!

Welcome aboard:thumbsup2: