IGNORED

Dielectric grease?

royalstarjac

I have seen some suggestions on using dielectric grease on connectors. Question: Do you smear the grease inside the connectors or just on the outside where the sides of the connectors slide together. Wouldn't smearing it inside either short them out or keep them from making a good connection?-Jack

I have seen some suggestions on using dielectric grease on connectors. Question: Do you smear the grease inside the connectors or just on the outside where the sides of the connectors slide together. Wouldn't smearing it inside either short them out or keep them from making a good connection?-Jack

Jack,

Silicone Dielectric Grease is a non curing silicone compound utilized for sealing, protecting electrical components and connectors and you are correct, it is NON conductive..

It waterproofs and protects against moisture and other contaminants in electrical connections.

Silicone Dielectric Grease is a translucent white in appearance, and is compatible with most plastics.

I personally apply it in,on and around the connector

I personally apply it in,on and around the connector

Hey Eck with it all over the plug does it collect dust, and look dirty ? If so do you end up cleaning these plugs, Just curious

I put it on the metal only

Brad

It's a annual thing for me. I clean the connector with eletronic spray cleaner, then re pack the female side of the connector by putting the opening of the tube right against the connector so as to force ti into the connection, wipe excess, good till next year.

I us the dielectric grease in plugs and connectors. When I use a butt connector I fill it and insert the wire and crimp it. Same for ring terminals and spades. The grease moves away enough to get good contact. Works for me. If you don't put it in the connectors and run in MN winter it will corrode very quickly. The spray deicer that is used on the roads will corrode off a wire in 24 hours once it makes contact. Yep that is the stuff they spray on the bridge decks.

Hey Eck with it all over the plug does it collect dust, and look dirty ? If so do you end up cleaning these plugs, Just curious

I put it on the metal only

Brad

Sorry BradT, if I may have mis-lead your thoughts, but I do wipe off all excess squeese out on outside of plug / connector. What remains on the out side is a very small bead between both the male and female sections (which you really dont see), and it provides a moisture barrier between both sections of the connector plug. Hope this makes sence..

Yes, the whole idea of it is to coat the metal and prevent corrosion. The tightness of the two connected surfaces scrapes off the grease where they actually mate, and leave a bead of grease around it, making it somewhat waterproof and corrosion proof. It is NOT conductive, and therefore the metal must be clean and contamination free prior to applying the dielectric grease. Yes, a little goes a long way and any excess should be wiped off!

If the two metal surfaces do not rub and scrape the grease of, you have some serious problems with the conector anyway and the grease won't do a thing...

Spray Can, It Chemically Cleans, Displace's Moisture, and enhances Electrical conductivity.

Great Stuff!! I used it on All electrical connections on Aircraft for 34 years. Also Used in in the Aircraft Instrument Overhaul shop.

Get it at Home Depot, or Lowes