IGNORED

Part number where to get progressive rear?

Out of my price range!!!! I took my friends with 24k miles (that's why I know how much) and cleaned them up for future use. Took 4 hours and heavy pounding with a 4 pound hammer get the old one out, Won't do that again for FREE!

Edited by 5bikes
added more

Basically like changing out a rear tire but then remove the A-arms from the swing arm and then you should be able to remove the shock. It would also be a good time to grease all the pivot joints on the swing arm and the A-arms as the first time I took mine off, the joints hadnt been grease since new and nothing would move freely. I took the opportunity to install the grease zerks and now I can grease it whenever I want. I would think it would take about 3 to 4 hours to remove.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes..

Rick F.

FYI- that shock does NOT allow use of your air system to increase preload. You must use the PIA rings to adjust preload. I am surprised those are still available. The price is the same as it was 10+ years ago.

Thanks for all the input, just need to save the $$ for the trade out. The reason I am going to the aftermarket shock is because I am tired of the CLASS system, which I feel is the only real misfunction of my 83' I am not sure how it could be developed and then have "CLASS" associated with it, not to mention that you are unable to adjust the air pressure while riding. Will get it done and let you know how it turns out.

Thanks for all the input, just need to save the $$ for the trade out. The reason I am going to the aftermarket shock is because I am tired of the CLASS system, which I feel is the only real misfunction of my 83' I am not sure how it could be developed and then have "CLASS" associated with it, not to mention that you are unable to adjust the air pressure while riding. Will get it done and let you know how it turns out.

I do not know exactly what problem you are having w/ the class system? But if the compressor does work the rest of the electrics are usually easy to fix.

Yes the compressor is working, the read out is working and I can decrease the the pressure, just not increase the pressure (E2 error). I assume that it is probably cracked soder but am confused,as I can hear it click to the compressor but the compressor won't respond. How ever I have when I hook up a battery charger to the compressor wires I get it to work and even utilize the display to see how much air I am putting in....so If I could get a fix for that I would probably wait until winter to do the progressive exchange.

p.s. I have already done the other (E4 i belive) fix but only sodered the ones needed at that time.

Problem I had with the stock shock was it was never quite enough 2-up. Static sag, 2-up, max air pressure was something like 66%, meaning it only had 1/3 of the wheel travel remaining. It bottomed easily. There is a Progressive spring replacement for the stock shock, but to make a long story short, I ended up with the whole Prog shock. It works nice. I ended up setting the preload rings (yes, a PITA) at the max and it's fine for all riding. I got it at Motorcycle Accessory Warehouse for around 350.

Another thing you could do is disconnect your air hose from the CLASS and install a schrader valve. Then you could adjust the air pressure, but would require an external source.

Jeremy

Yes the compressor is working, the read out is working and I can decrease the the pressure, just not increase the pressure (E2 error). I assume that it is probably cracked soder but am confused,as I can hear it click to the compressor but the compressor won't respond. How ever I have when I hook up a battery charger to the compressor wires I get it to work and even utilize the display to see how much air I am putting in....so If I could get a fix for that I would probably wait until winter to do the progressive exchange.

p.s. I have already done the other (E4 i belive) fix but only sodered the ones needed at that time.

You still have bad solder connections. There are a number of different circuits in use for every change in the class system. What you are hearing is the solenoid kicking in for where the air is to go (front or back) however the circuit that starts the pump is not being energized. Back with the soldering gun. When I first got my bike I had the same problem but never had this forum as of yet. I removed the compressor unit and tested it completely out and all was working as it was supposed to but when reinstalled I got the same readings as you. When checking I found no voltage running to the compressor itself although the solenoids were working. I put a button on the dash spliced to the wire going to the compressor and to a live wire off of the fuse box. Now when I want to add air I put the dash unit on manual, hold the add button and at the same time push my button that sends juice to the compressor and vola, it pumps up. If I had learned about the cold solder joints before this I would have repaired the problem the correct way.

Dick