IGNORED

HELP...soft/no clutch lever 84

so i've read two threads on this and i think i will try to put in new fluid.

my question is, How?

where is the resevior? where is the bleeder? what type of clutch fluid?

does anyone have any pictures of this? this is all new to me so assume that i know nothing, because i don't. :(

thanks for the help...

Bleeding a clutch is just like bleeding brakes. One thing you need to be aware of though is that as the clutch wears the fluid in the reservoir will rise (opposite of brakes), so you shouldn't fill full up.

Reservoir is on the left handle bar.

Bleed is at the clutch slave cylinder. Above your left foot peg, just on top of the case is a rectangular rubber cover that you can pull off to expose the bleed screw.

The MKII Ventures use DOT4. Not sure about the MKI, but I'd guess they use DOT3. Should be cast into the reservoir cover actually.

You want to avoid getting brake fluid on anything, particularly paint or plastic. If you do wash it with soap and water immediately to avoid damage.

Not to offend, but since it wasn't readily apparent to you where the reservoir is you sound pretty inexperienced. You might want to get an assist from someone who has done brakes or clutches.

Todd,

I dont know how long you want to wait, or if it's not working at all. I'm going to be doing fluid changes at Freebirds on maintenance day. If you can wait till then I would be glad to help you with it, if your looking to do it faster, call me on my cell and I can walk you throught it :happy34:

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update...

I took the lid off the clutch resevoir cover, unscrewed the bleeder all the way out, and the fluid started draining out, it looked like mud. It was gravity draining for a while and I got impatient and started pumping the clutch lever, and the fluid was squirting out the bleeder. I pumped until nothing was coming out anymore and the resevior was completely empty. I cleaned all the muck out of the resevior, put in new fluid and screwed the bleeder all the way in.

Next, I pulled the clutch lever in and zip tied it to the handgrip, then I unscrewed the bleeder all the way out again. The next thing I noticed was air bubbles coming out of the hole where the bleeder was, and sure enough the fluid level in the resevior started slowly going down. After a few minutes fluid started coming out the bleeder hole so i put the bleeder screw all the way back in and let the clutch lever out once the bleeder was tight. I did this process one more time. I got a few bubbles the second time before fluid started coming out again.

Clutch lever is stiff again and seems to be working fine. and was still working good after the 30 minute test drive.

Not sure if this is the conventional way of doing things but it seems to have worked pretty good for me. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and ideas. Hope this might help someone in the future...