IGNORED

Intercom volume adjustment

Seems like I used to be able to adjust the intercom volume with the knob on the audio control box, but last time we road 2-up I couldn't turn the intercom up or down. I know there's an IC setting on the audio box, but isn't the intercom volume adjustable with the volume knob too? My wife can adjust how loud she hears me with her volume control on the passenger's seat, but for some reason I can't adjust mine.

I'm running a Zumo GPS with MP3 and can adjust the volume to it and the radio fine. Also, all of the connectors under the fairing have already been pulled and dielectric applied.

David

you first have to select IC and then you can adjust the volume. Once you get it to where you want it, then you select Acc to listen to your MP3 player and control that volume..

Whatever volume you want to control, you must first select that feature then adjust it.

Thanks guys for the input....I already knew about selecting IC and adjusting the intercom volume, but after I do that, can I adjust the intercom volume by turning the volume control? She can turn her intercom up or down (from the passenger volume control knob), so it seems like I should be able to do the same thing. Doesn't seem quite fair that she can turn me down (literally).

:rotfl:

In other words, sometimes I can barely hear my wife and I need to turn the volume up so I can hear her, and sometime she's too loud and I need to turn it down. Right now the IC setting is at Max and she's not very loud and turning the volume control has zero effect.

Thanks,

David

Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse, but I just want to be sure about this. Is the only way you can adjust the intercom volume of your passenger, by using the IC setting on the audio head? You can't adjust the intercom volume by using the Volume control on the side of the audio head?

Again, it just seems strange that the passenger can adjust how loud she hears the driver by using the passenger's volume control, but the driver can't adjust how loud he hears the passenger, except by going into the IC option?

Thanks again,

David

Guest tx2sturgis

I'm pretty sure thats correct, cuz as the pilot in command, you are able to adjust other volumes and settings too.

Its not strange at all David. If you are listening to your radio pretty loud, and pull up to a stoplite and wanna turn down the stereo, listening for traffic or whatever, and you rotate the volume knob down, then if that also controlled the intercom volume, you would not even know your passenger was talking. Make any sense?

Edited by tx2sturgis

I am having the same problem with my intercom. The other day everything was OK then today we went for a ride and shef could hear me however I could not hear her.(OK I expect alot of ribbing from this one)

Johnny :nanner:

Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse, but I just want to be sure about this. Is the only way you can adjust the intercom volume of your passenger, by using the IC setting on the audio head? You can't adjust the intercom volume by using the Volume control on the side of the audio head?

Again, it just seems strange that the passenger can adjust how loud she hears the driver by using the passenger's volume control, but the driver can't adjust how loud he hears the passenger, except by going into the IC option?

Thanks again,

David

You have described the operation correctly, with one exception - when you have IC selected (and only then), I believe you can adjust the volume using EITHER the vol knob or the up/down arrows. The rear volume control for passenger is a headset volume control - doesn't matter what the source is. The front volume control is specific to the individual source you are listening to (radio, CB, or IC), and it sets the main volume of each source for BOTH headsets. By separately selecting and adjusting the volume for each source, the rider decides how they should be set, but you can only adjust one at a time. The passenger can then decide to override all of them together, either up or down, withing the limits of the rear control.

Unfortunately, the IC only works when either the radio and/or CB is also on, so the main volume control will always default to one of the radios, meaning you can never adjust the IC volume without first selecting it from the middle button on the control head.

On a side note, if you have to have the IC vol at max, I suspect you have something wrong - in my experience that is REAL loud. My wife and I usually keep our IC around 10 or 12, and that is generally where I keep the radio volume also (just for comparison). How loud you keep your radio will depend on a number of things, including your hearing, type of helmet, speaker quality and placement, etc., but based on my experience it probably should be similar between radio and IC. Here are a couple of things to check. First, make sure the mic is turned correctly, with the sound holes facing the lips. If you use a wind cover on the mic, it is real easy to have the mic turned and not notice it. Second, make sure the mic is very close to the lips. This has a huge impact on how loud it sounds, either for IC or CB. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Had the same problem yesterday. She heard me fine, I could not hear her. tried the volume adjust but only caused her to turn down the volume on her end. Turns out when she put her helmet on the mike was moved out of position and subsequently could not pick up the sound. readjusted mic and now hear her loud and clear. :stirthepot:

Thanks for the extra info and in depth explanation. I added a ground loop filter to the audio system under the fairing a couple weeks ago. I'll have to check that. Otherwise, I checked my wife's mic and it's aiming correctly. I didn't mention that we're both wearing J&M headsets.

I guess it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I have my Zumo attached to the audio system and can turn the MP3 music up or down with my volume control. I can turn the FM radio volume up or down with the volume control. I can turn the CB volume up or down with the volume control. I just can't turn the intercom volume up or down with the volume control.

Thanks guys,

David