IGNORED

Car Tire is Awesome

T-Paw

I love the Kumho that I installed. Here are the advantages.

1. Handles better

2. Rides smoother

3. Cost less

4. Replace less often

5. Makes the women fall all over you

6. Increases sex appeal by 78%

7. Better traction

8. Did I mention the women?

Seriously, has anyone else noticed an improvement in turning radius or is it just my imagination?

:big-grin-emoticon:

What size auto tire are you installing on the rear? Does this tire fit directly on the stock rim?

I heard of other people doing this but i was wondering about the square edge on the auto tire. How is the traction on bends when the tire rides on the edge?

I understand it lasts a long time and the passenger is the one who feels it the most. Is this also true?

Thanks

frankc,

I put on the Kumho 165-80/15. Yes it fits on the stock rim although it takes a higher than normal psi to seat the bead.. Traction is improved over stock. Braking distance is also improved. I don't think it rides on the sidewall of the the tire. I am running 42 p.s.i. and the tire flexs in turns. I live in the country and all off the roads are curvy. Upon inspection I do not see any evidence that the tire has been running on the edge or sidewall. Look in the Darksiders section of this forum for info on running CT's on the Venture. I hope this helps.

:Venture:

good morning frank

the car tire sizes are 155 or 165/80-15. the 155 i belive is about 1/2 or so shorter than the stock m/c tire. the 165 is about the same as the stock m/c tire. these sizes are bout the only tires that will fit our rsv's with no swing arm clearnce issues. the car tires will fit our rims ok but it takes more air pressure to seat the tire bead on our rims. i have about 21,000 miles on my c/t. installed it last april by my self took about a 100 psi to seat, must use some kind of lube around the tire beads to help it seat. read the darksider foems to read more. any of us darksiders here will be glad to answer any of your questons.

best reguards

don c.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry that I didn't see this when you first posted, T-Paw... and welcome to the sexy group! :hihi:

I can't say that I could tell any better turning radius. I was just happy to be able to turn without hearing a roar from a cupped ME880!

As far as curves and the bike leaning... the tire really never gets on the edge. If you look closely the flat area isn't really flat but curved. With the shallow lean angle of our bikes you will never get on the edge. Although I don't try to be a floorboard dragger I've actually taken a couple of curves that my GoldWing buddy was uncomfortable with. Somewhere on the Darksiders forum there is a pic showing that you actually have more rubber contacting the road in a curve with a C/T.

T-Paw, I also put on a Kuhmo on last week. Best move I have ever done. Everyone kept saying to ride 500 miles to get used to it. Wow, If it gets better in 500 miles it ought to be awesome(er).

I agree with you, much smoother and handle better (not sure about Sex Appeal, I am already at the top of the chart LOL)

Keep you posted on how it goes in the next few days/weeks

Hey Friends,

What is the name of the tire used on the RSV's?

Is there a chance that a car tire can be used on the front also?

It certainly get's a hell of a lot more mileage then bike tires!

Y'all Ride Safe my Friends!!

On the rear you actually have a choice of a few.

In 155/80R15 is the BFGoodrich Radial T/A (Only available in raised white letter on one side)

Most of us go with the wider 165/80R15 or 165SR15. Tires in that size are:

Kumho Powerstar 758 (my tire)

Nexen SB802

Mickey Thompson Sportsman SR, part number 6652, 26X6.00R15LT (This would probably be a great tire! But it's priced like a cycle tire.)

Federal,Vredestein, Michelin (don't know models)

As for the front... Back in the day, CT's were used on the front also but so far no one has tried it lately that I know of. In fact, I think I looked and couldn't find a CT in a size that would fit our Royal Star's.

Most are using a REAR cycle tire (in the correct front size) on the front. The secret is to mount it in reverse rotation because the tire tread design is reversed for front and rear. The reason for using the rear tire on front is that the rear tires will have an average of 1/8" more tread depth and they have a higher load rating. Example: An Avon Venom front tire is rated 71H and the rear size on the front is 77H or V.

I would also suggest that you do a free registration at The Darksiders Forum and read more on it. Good safety info there about mounting the tires.

Who carries the KUMHO tires? Around here all you get is a dumb stare if you ask for them. Been on the fence for a while but after finding a nail in my Dunlop today I think it's time to make the move. Any info would be greatly appreciated. How difficult is it to mount the tire? I'm pretty good mechanically, but I've never tried a tire before on a bike.

• 1 month later...
Hey Friends,

What is the name of the tire used on the RSV's?

Is there a chance that a car tire can be used on the front also?

It certainly get's a hell of a lot more mileage then bike tires!

Y'all Ride Safe my Friends!!

While on the "Run For The Wall 2009" there was a bike with a rear auto tire on his bike. Looks kind of weird. From all my readings on various forums, car tires takes away a lot of the handling characteristics. The motorcycle rounded tire actually gives more of a riding patch on the pavement in the corners. In Oregon you need as much rubber on the ground as possible with all the twisties.

T Paw, I have the same tire on my 05 MRSV and like it so far - about 1200 miles. One thing I did notice is I have ti use a bit more understeer in the TN mountains. As for turning, I haven't noticed that much yet, but I also added an AVON 130 on the front which helps me turn a bit tighter.

Boomer

While on the "Run For The Wall 2009" there was a bike with a rear auto tire on his bike. Looks kind of weird. From all my readings on various forums, car tires takes away a lot of the handling characteristics. The motorcycle rounded tire actually gives more of a riding patch on the pavement in the corners. In Oregon you need as much rubber on the ground as possible with all the twisties.

You've been reading post by people that probably never have tried it. There are a lot of 'experts' out there that never done it; just know all about it.

My experience with the Kumho... I can't feel any difference in handling. On other bikes that use wider tires, you'll feel a little more effort in turns. Different air pressures will make a difference too. I use 40-42 lbs and some less.

But car tires are not flat. They have a rounded profile, too. Just not AS round. That is why they will have more tread in contact with the road in the curves than an M/C tire.

Check out the Darksiders forum at Riding the Darkside if you are interested. More info there from the people that actually use the tires. It's a free registration if you aren't on Delphi forums already.