as we first geners are limited in options for our filters. Is there an adaptor to use screww on filters. HOw much, who sell and pros and cons if this adapter exist. I'm haveing and impossible time finding the ch6002 filter in my area. No one is selling them here except for the stealors.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

David

http://rivcoproducts.com/

Spin-On Oil Filter Cap

In production since 1989, the spin-on oil

fi lter adaptor is engineered to replace your

existing OEM fi lter. This adaptor gives you

the fl exibility of using standard spin-on

automotive fi lters that can be purchased at

automotive and discount stores everywhere

at considerable savings. Fits Yamaha®

Ventures 83’-93’, First Generation only.

YF01

Often available on e-bay for a bit cheaper than the Rivco.

Both take a Fram PH3950 or equivalent. Don't go longer than the PH3950.

Makes it difficult to remove. Been using one for a long time. Works great.

Make sure the original gasket comes off with the old filter. If not, double

gasket blowout and an oily mess at the very least.

JB

Any concern about a thin metal spin-on oil filter being right out front exposed to rocks and other debris that may puncture it from direct hits?

The $4 Fram filter catridges for the Yammie are stocked by most car parts places around here. That's if you're not dead set against using Fram filters!

I buy my Fram filter kit at Advance Auto Parts. Never had a problem with it. I have skipped using Frams in the past because Fram makes an EXCELLENT filter...too good...they filter so good, that I have seen them cut down oil pressure in some of the vehicles I have driven or raced. They really need to back off a bit. Never had any trouble on my bike though.

Not dead set in any direction just want to find a filter and was weighing my options. Cant find the fram ch6002 in my area. tried walmart, Advance auto, Autozone, Oreiley,s, and Napa. They don,t seem to carry them anymore. At least not in this area.

Tahnks for the info.

David

Any concern about a thin metal spin-on oil filter being right out front exposed to rocks and other debris that may puncture it from direct hits?

My thoughts exactly! Especially right behind the front tire!

My filter hides behind the lower spoiler (cowcatcher) pretty well. I have never seen a dent or ding in almost 20,000 miles. As to the Fram reptation, I used that number as a starting point. Choose the brand you like. I like NAPA Gold series and Baldwin. Never bothered with the fancy filters and the racing stuff.

JB

My filter hides behind the lower spoiler (cowcatcher) pretty well. I have never seen a dent or ding in almost 20,000 miles. As to the Fram reptation, I used that number as a starting point. Choose the brand you like. I like NAPA Gold series and Baldwin. Never bothered with the fancy filters and the racing stuff.

JB

You must have the 2nd gen, as the 1st gen have nothing protecting the filter cover. I agree that since I change my oil and filter every 2k miles then why get the spendy$$ brands. I am using Fram, BTW. Just have read a few vocalizing their displeasure with them.

You must have the 2nd gen, as the 1st gen have nothing protecting the filter cover. I agree that since I change my oil and filter every 2k miles then why get the spendy$$ brands. I am using Fram, BTW. Just have read a few vocalizing their displeasure with them.

Nope, he has a 1st gen Mk2 (1300 CC), 1986 in fact. I had installed the Ebay filter adapter this winter, on my 83. The thaw is starting to happen, so time to finish putting the scoot back together.

Nope, he has a 1st gen Mk2 (1300 CC), 1986 in fact. I had installed the Ebay filter adapter this winter, on my 83. The thaw is starting to happen, so time to finish putting the scoot back together.

I stand corrected...the 83-85 1st gen don't have that chin piece, right?:thumbsup2:

http://rivcoproducts.com/

Spin-On Oil Filter Cap

In production since 1989, the spin-on oil

fi lter adaptor is engineered to replace your

existing OEM fi lter. This adaptor gives you

the fl exibility of using standard spin-on

automotive fi lters that can be purchased at

automotive and discount stores everywhere

at considerable savings. Fits Yamaha®

Ventures 83’-93’, First Generation only.

YF01

David,this is what I installed on our bike... Love it..You can just get the filter on and off without removing the chin spoiler....I use the fram 3950 because it has the grippy stuff on the bottom half of it to make it easy to take off by hand....

I really don't care for the Fram,but I change the oil every 2,000 miles...:D

I have had a mechanic tell me he has seen a where a Fram filter completely broke down and plugged oil galleries in the engine with paper, thus destroying the engine. This was a reasonably recent occurrence. He says Fram filters are not as good as they once were. Use of these was NOT recommended.

Don't like Fram, I have found Mighty, Purolator, and a bunch of other. I have had the spin on for over 50,000 miles and no holes. I think there is a greater chance of rounding off the nut on the stock set up, then getting a hole in a spin on filter. The spin on takes the worry out of an oil change. joe :superman:

Don't like Fram, I have found Mighty, Purolator, and a bunch of other. I have had the spin on for over 50,000 miles and no holes. I think there is a greater chance of rounding off the nut on the stock set up, then getting a hole in a spin on filter. The spin on takes the worry out of an oil change. joe :superman:

Good point...and making sure the o-ring doesn't flop out of place too!! I usually use a touch of grease to hold it in the cover's groove while carefully lining the cover, filter and spring up while using the socket to start the bolt....it takes "3" hands and laying on my stomach looking at it with a droplight to see if it's going in right!!!!!:pushups: