IGNORED

Annual Inspection_Did I Need Rear Brakes???

Long Tall

Hey All:

I went to have my annual inspection weekend before last and unlike last year I hung around till it was done. When they said its ready...I asked...Did you check everything...YES...They said...Everything good until next year?..YES...They said...Did you take the rear saddlebag off to check the rear pads...NO..They said....Why:confused24:..not....I said...WE use a mirror...OK...I said....

NOTE: Last year I left it to have the new WWW's put on along with the inspection.....and came back later in the week....

I came home last weekend...Pulled the Saddlebag....Pulled the Rear Pads....See what I found below with my pixs...Just finished put on EBC FA123HH sintered pads....I posted the pixs for two reasons;

1. to show how the pads can wear unevenly.....Really a design flaw I think...and 2. To show why it is important to just know HOW for the Safety Thing

George In Virginia

George,

Tim (dustydog20) and I did maintenance on our bikes this morning and then took them for inspection. I had a noise coming from the rear and Tim road it, thought it might be rear pads so we ordered parts to do his, mine and the 99 RSV I sold to my friend. After pulling the rear pads, I noticed the uneven wear but didnot need to be changed. Tim said while we got it on the jack, pull the whell and check the splines. OOPS, they were barely greased. Could say dry! This was the first time I've checked the wheel since it only had 1k+ miles and the first service had been done.

I advise everyone to check the gease on the splines and rear wheel.

Keep the shiny side up and rubber side down. Pass to Donna I said hello.

MIKE aka Uturn

:Venture:

We've had a few threads on the rear brakes. Yes there is a manufactured defect in the rear brakes and it causes the inside pad to wear unevenly and this uneven contact with rotor will over heat the rotor from all friction focused on one spot. I did the lowering kit on my bike and so far I'm hoping it fixed the alinement problem, but have read the putting a shim of 42 thousandths on the rear bolt holding the caliper will fix the problem.

That issue has been well discussed on this forum... I'm not sure I would call it a design flaw... I would consider it a design flaw if the brakes were inadequate but that is not the case as it will lock up any rear tire including my Car Tire... It's More like the nature of the beast... George you could have flipped those pads and got twice as many miles as you have now... The caliper piston is on the inside and the caliper does not float like the front calipers so you get the uneven wear...

That issue has been well discussed on this forum... I'm not sure I would call it a design flaw... I would consider it a design flaw if the brakes were inadequate but that is not the case as it will lock up any rear tire including my Car Tire... It's More like the nature of the beast... George you could have flipped those pads and got twice as many miles as you have now... The caliper piston is on the inside and the caliper does not float like the front calipers so you get the uneven wear...

Mark: I guess you right basically...It was just that I was a little pis$%)ed about the inspection... but I know one thing for sure...I have read multiple times on the forum about flipping the pads...Actually, that was my main reason for checking them...I bet going forward I'll be doing the "flip" thing more often.......Just glad that I decided to check them....Thanks for your input..

George In Virginia

I could be wrong but I remember reading somewhere it has to do with the size of the pistons if they are the same size you get uneven wear something to do with the spinning of the wheel. But like the blue star r1 calipers have different size pistons the smaller one pushes out slighty faster then the bigger one evening the wear. Dont ask me which piston is bigger.