IGNORED

Head gasket leak '99 RSV

The head gasket on my '99 RSV is leaking anti-freeze from the front left corner where the cylinder block meets the crankcase. I removed the cooling fin to confirm this. This only happens when the engine is cold and it appears to seal up when the engine warms up. Can anyone tell me if you can change the head gasket with out removing the engine? Can the head bolts be re-torqued by removing the cylinder head covers? Any assistance will be appreciated.

Fitz

Sorry, you'll have to pull the engine to remove the head. The bolts are long, and there's nowhere near enough room in the frame to lift the head up over the top of them.

You might try just retorquing the bolts. You'll have to remove the cam covers and also the cams. The head bolts are underneath the camshafts. It's a lot of work, but least this can be done without pulling the engine out.

You sure it is the head gasket ? I remember reading here about the rubber plugs on the side of the block leaking when cold. I think the solution was to tape a washer to the inside of the Fake fins, where it pushes against the Rubber plug.

Other than that then Pegscraper has the info right on.

Brad