IGNORED

'84 XVZ1200 clutch springs

After changing the engine oil to Rotella 15w-40, I still had the clutch slip a few times in 5th gear on hard acceleration at 4-5k rpm during my 120 mile commute to work to today. I see a lot of posts referring to replacing the springs for only $10, but I checked both BikeBandit and Chapparal and they both listed them for $7.97/ea. Since there are 6 of them, that would be around $48 total plus shipping and I still have to locate a new clutch cover gasket too. Any ideas or suppliers?

Will a proper sized washer placed behind each spring upon reassembly accomplish the same thing? I haven't taken it apart yet to see if they are out of spec, but I'd like to be prepared to do the job once and not leave my bike unusable for a week waiting for parts.

Hi,try cleaning the plates first, as you know, using an oil that's not recommended WILL result in what your experiencing? So if I were you, I'd take the plates out and stack them in the order that you remove, so they can be put back exactly, clean them up with a de-greasing liquid, let them dry out and them refit. One other thing, Never do as you suggest and put a washer behind the springs, if they are worn, change them, they'll only snap otherwise and could cause you a lot more damage.

I'm a Venture n00b, and I in addition to rebuilding both clutch cylinders along with Rotella T, and I have the High rpm slip too. I still haven't lowered my reservoir amount, which is the cheapest attempted fix so I'll do that first, before trying to change oils or clutch springs.

I see a lot of posts referring to replacing the springs for only $10, but I checked both BikeBandit and Chapparal and they both listed them for $7.97/ea. Since there are 6 of them, that would be around $48 total plus shipping and I still have to locate a new clutch cover gasket too. Any ideas or suppliers?

http://www.barnettclutches.com/products/clutch_plates_springs.aspx?type=clutches_other&clutch_make=Yamaha&clutch_cc=1200

Spring kit Barnett #501-50-06053

Cross reference for spring kit (other bikes)

http://www.barnettclutches.com/search/results.aspx?cmd=showresults&prod_pn=501-50-06053

http://www.flatoutmotorcycles.com/eshopprod_cat_4128-19112-28436_product_498648.BARNETT_CLUTCH_DISCS_AND_SPRIN.htm

CLUTCH SPRING SET YAM

1131-0643 $22.95

You can get the gasket from Flatout MC too...

One other thing, Never do as you suggest and put a washer behind the springs, if they are worn, change them, they'll only snap otherwise and could cause you a lot more damage.

?????????????????

Springs can't snap through over compression - doesn't happen. They can weaken if they get compressed more than about 85-90% That being said, if the extra preload makes a difference, it will also result in a heavier clutch at the handlebar.

I've bought the oil without the friction modifiers to see if it stops my clutch slipping, but I've been slack (or busy at work) and haven't tried it yet.

Well after lowering the fluid level on my 88, it's still slipping in 4th and 5th.

Is it really the Rotella, or do I need stiffer clutch springs? My bike has only 30,000 miles, but I'm it's new owner so don't know it's history. I went to order some Barnett clutch springs, but they're $ 175 :Avatars_Gee_George: They are some sort of conversion package. I dunno.

Well after lowering the fluid level on my 88, it's still slipping in 4th and 5th.

Is it really the Rotella, or do I need stiffer clutch springs? My bike has only 30,000 miles, but I'm it's new owner so don't know it's history. I went to order some Barnett clutch springs, but they're $ 175 :Avatars_Gee_George: They are some sort of conversion package. I dunno.

Your bike is what we refer as a "Mk2" (1300 CC engine), with a totally different pressure plate setup. Yes, Barnett has a conversion kit for it.

Just to follow up:

I removed the clutch cover for inspection and found that all the springs measured about 36-37mm in free spring length which is well below the shop manual stating 40mm as the minimum. I am waiting for a new set (six) that I ordered through the local dealer for $14.

I also removed and cleaned all the plates to make sure that any previous incorrect type oil was cleaned off after changing my oil back to Rotella 15w-40 250 miles ago. And I gently scuffed them up with a fine sandpaper.

The wire removal took a little effort in order to remove the final pressure and 1/2 friction plates. My wife's old dental tool worked great for extracting the plates.

I used 2 long small flathead screwdrivers to guide the wire to snap back in place before putting all the other plates back in the order they came out. I also lightly coated each plate w/the proper 15w-40 as they were reinstalled.

Now, I just need to wait for the springs to arrive and then I'll put it all together and give you a road test report.

At least I have my other bike to ride in the interim!!

Just to follow up:

I removed the clutch cover for inspection and found that all the springs measured about 36-37mm in free spring length which is well below the shop manual stating 40mm as the minimum. I am waiting for a new set (six) that I ordered through the local dealer for $14.

I also removed and cleaned all the plates to make sure that any previous incorrect type oil was cleaned off after changing my oil back to Rotella 15w-40 250 miles ago. And I gently scuffed them up with a fine sandpaper.

The wire removal took a little effort in order to remove the final pressure and 1/2 friction plates. My wife's old dental tool worked great for extracting the plates.

I used 2 long small flathead screwdrivers to guide the wire to snap back in place before putting all the other plates back in the order they came out. I also lightly coated each plate w/the proper 15w-40 as they were reinstalled.

Now, I just need to wait for the springs to arrive and then I'll put it all together and give you a road test report.

At least I have my other bike to ride in the interim!!

I've got an 83 that I bought in 1999 with 23000 miles. I had to do a lot of repair work as the bike was in bad shape but I got around to changing the clutch springs in 2001. I ordered them through an after market discount motorcycle parts store and they were only something around 10 bucks for the set. The bike has not slipped since and it now has over 70,000 miles. At the time I had bought new friction plates also but upon taking the clutch out and miking the plates I found them to be close to the new ones in size. The springs were the cause of the slippage. These were after market, heavy duty springs, not Yamaha, but I don't remember the brand. Sorry.

Dick

Your bike is what we refer as a "Mk2" (1300 CC engine), with a totally different pressure plate setup. Yes, Barnett has a conversion kit for it.

Yes, I've done some reading since. I don't have the money for a conversion kit, but I've read that adding a 2nd clutch spring will do the trick too.

Does anyone have one laying around after they did a clutch conversion?

but I've seen that many times in the clutch disks in manual transmissions and coil spring suspensions.

Don't know what to say - I've nver seen it and would not expect to see it unless there was some spectacularly bad quality control or coil assistors were used to overload the springs which point loaded the coils at specific points.

Compression springs should close all the way until there is no space between the windings. If you do this, the springs will weaken, butthey should not break.

I'm intrigued now - were these Japanese bikes that had broken springs in the clutch ? Standard springs ????

Ok. I thought you were talking springs in general. The clutch disks and suspension springs I mention were from car & trucks I've repaired over the years. I haven't had nearly as many bikes apart as I have cars & trucks, so I haven't seen any broken bike clutch springs yet.

I got the new aftermarket clutch springs and new gasket today. After getting it all back together tonight and taking it for a test ride, I'm happy to report that it is much better! With 20% stronger springs, I now have a "MAN's" clutch instead of a WIMPY clutch. It has a noticably stronger effort to pull in the clutch now, but hey, the slip is gone, and I can scoot by semis on the highway with no fear!

It was the springs for me. I got an aftermarket spring kit (6 of them), rated 20% stiffer than stock, through the local dealer (Freedom Cycle) in Concord, NH for $14 and no shipping charges. Got the OEM cover gasket for $7 too. These guys are very helpful and had my stuff in 5 days from when I called it in and put it on the Visa card. I've dealt with them for 3 yrs with my old Suzuki stuff and more than half the time they're cheaper and much more helpful than going online! It helps that they are right on my way home from work, too.

BTW, the clutch is not slipping anymore (just changing the oil did not help) and the lever pull is definitely stiffer compared to the mush feel before. The 25 year old original springs were all 3-4mm under acceptable specs(40mm).