IGNORED

Crazy French Riders

halfwitt

So, I'm in France this week. Gotta tell you - the motorcylists in Paris are nuts. The will split the lanes even when traffic is moving. If you are in a car stopped in traffic and you don't give bikes enough room to ride between the lanes, the will kick your car. These bikes are anywhere from a scooter to a Wing. And lots of Wings here.

Do you ever split lanes?

The best country to ride in Europe is Austria. They have a great respect for motorcyclists. I spent 11 years in Germany, and that was the greatest place to ride. You have the Alps in western Austria, and flat to rolling land in the eastern part. Great roads everywhere, and some of the nicest people you will ever meet....

:Venture:

Can't here in Tx but When I was in CA I did all the time. There's an art to it I think. You can't go too fast and you can't go to slow. Had a few that even tried to cut me off. Just wait till the timing is right and scoot right on by them. And yes it was in moving traffic. But I never did it over about 35 or 40. If its moving that fast then its really not a bad traffic jam.

I split Lanes every Day, even if it's not allowed here in Germany. Whatever Bike and whatever Lane. I do it on Highway occasionally on up the 110 mph, if the Behaviour of the Cars isn't too suspicious. But it's dangerous and you have to be very alert.

It's allowed in Austria while Traffic isn't moving and the Rider has to act very carefull.

Nowadays, Car even give Room to split, 20 Years ago you'd better be aware to the Fact some HAS to open the Door right in front of you.

I agree Paris, France is a crazy City, also regarding Traffic. My Drivers (Class 8 Trucks) are all LESS than excited when i have to send them there. I didn't expect them going after Americans too, normally Germans are not so well seen there from most Folks. This is because of some Remainder of WWI and II. A Lot of French can't get over that, still after 60 Years. But it's much worse on the Atlantic Coast. Watch out for "Bosch", no that's not meant to be the Auto Parts, it has another Meaning in french Language.

What - have a motorcycle and don't ride through the traffic - I really can't understand that. I suppose you don'y have the same level of traffic over there (or practically anywhere) as here. I worked for several years as a motorcycle courier in London and have commuted through the traffic on a bike since before I left school - and on a push-bike before that as soon as I went to secondary school.

In London I'd suspect anyone sitting in traffic was from out of town, a very newbie learner or a car driver on two wheels. When you have a hundred miles between traffic lights instead of a hundred yards I can understand that your attitude might be different.

Now we can drive in bus lanes here (well some of them) I find myself overtaking traffic on the inside - well weird - and you have to keep an eye for people turning left, but it's less stress.

A word on being in France - manners are very different and you need to be ready to adjust. In England (what we consider) polite apologies are a lubricant to movement of lots of people on crowded streets. In France - well - they're not English and don't understand cricket. Whenever we can we get over to the 24hr motorcycle race at LeMans - a massive party of up to 100,000 bikers with beer flowing everywhere. If someone bumps into you or pushes past, don't expect an apology. It's not intended as rudeness, it's just different. We've always found the bikers there friendly and generous and welcoming - even the ones saying they don't like the english while sharing their home-made calvados or absinthe (!!!)

We have a good time and don't expect anyone to be different - if we wanted Englishness we'd go to Brands Hatch. Mind you, we have the bagpipes with us which is great for breaking down barriers.