Just bought some Dunlop Elite 3 tires and man what a difference. In the past I was skeptical when people say they switch tires and have a different riding experience with the new tires. I figure, tires are tires, shouldn't feel any difference between the different brands. I didn't feel the difference between Dunlop 404's and Metzelers on my previous bike. Well I am skeptical no more.

The Elite 3's help the bike be very responsive. Since I have been used to the Metzelers (previous tires on the bike) I have to be careful at times. I am not used to the new tires yet and what I consider improved handling.

I purchased my '06 Midnight with 4,900 miles and the original 404s on it. I replaced both the front and rear (with 404s) after 17,778 miles before taking a trip out west. (The tires still looked OK). While on the road in Vermont last summer, I had to replace the rear again after 9,000. The only place in town with a rear tire to fit had a Metzeler ME880 and I 've had that tire on the rear for the last 6,000 miles. Before leaving for Daytona last month, I replaced the front tire with an E3. Put about 1,300 miles on it in Florida. I just purchased an E3 for the rear which I am installing this week. The Metzeler has only 6,000 miles on it and looks very good, but I'm committed to giving the E3s a try. More to follow as the riding season progresses here in Illinois.

Just bought some Dunlop Elite 3 tires and man what a difference. In the past I was skeptical when people say they switch tires and have a different riding experience with the new tires. I figure, tires are tires, shouldn't feel any difference between the different brands. I didn't feel the difference between Dunlop 404's and Metzelers on my previous bike. Well I am skeptical no more.

The Elite 3's help the bike be very responsive. Since I have been used to the Metzelers (previous tires on the bike) I have to be careful at times. I am not used to the new tires yet and what I consider improved handling.

Man, I was that close to getting a new rear Elite 3 when I found out that Westfield Yamaha was having a sale. My back tire (404) still looks good so I decided to wait.

Thanks for the review Jerry. I'll consider that when I finally plunk down some money for a new rear tire. :mo money:

How many miles are you getting out of the rear Elite II?

I have a friend that ran an Elite III on a Harley and he got slightly over 18,000 miles on his rear tire. From what I have read, the tire is much thicker and the rubber compound must be harder than most because they are known for being a high mileage tire. I run Elite III on front and rear but haven't had them but for 1000 miles or so and they still look new.

The dealer did have one issue, I had them use moly grease (they didn't have Honda 60 moly) on the splines and I also wanted them to do the pins. Well not sure if the pins have ever been removed or removed in a very long time. They couldn't even create a gap to get the pins out. There is no gap there and they seem to be rusted shut. The tech said he changed one the other day and it practically fell out w/out any problems. He just said try and score one off of like e-bay at the next tire change, bring it in and they will swap out the wheel too.

Forgot to mention, just to throw this out there, I asked the dealer about tire pressure. At least from their experience 42 in the rear and 40 in the front to them is where you can get the most mileage out a set of tires for the Ventures.

How the came to that determination and all that, I don't know. It is just what they recommend based on their experience with MC tires in general.

Bob, I'll be happy to let you test drive it at the next meeting so you can feel the difference yourself.

Edited by Sideoftheroad

I think I found out why the pins didn't come out. I found this in Freebirds article on rear hub lubrication "Wipe around the top edge of the gear clean and you will find a snap ring. Look carefully because it is hard to miss. Use a pair of snap ring pliers that open to remove the ring and lift it off or gently grab it with a pair of pliers being careful not to stretch the ring. If you do not remove this ring you will be unable to remove the pins from the hub (I know this Cuz this dummy tried to do it!) After you have removed the ring pull on the gear and the pins should slide out."

After reading that and the tech saying he has had some that come right out, that kinda worries me that other bikes no longer have that snap ring. I will need to call them tomorrow.

I think I found out why the pins didn't come out. I found this in Freebirds article on rear hub lubrication "Wipe around the top edge of the gear clean and you will find a snap ring. Look carefully because it is hard to miss. Use a pair of snap ring pliers that open to remove the ring and lift it off or gently grab it with a pair of pliers being careful not to stretch the ring. If you do not remove this ring you will be unable to remove the pins from the hub (I know this Cuz this dummy tried to do it!) After you have removed the ring pull on the gear and the pins should slide out."

After reading that and the tech saying he has had some that come right out, that kinda worries me that other bikes no longer have that snap ring. I will need to call them tomorrow.

You should tell the tech to join VentureRiders. He could learn a thing or two! :happy34:

How many miles are you getting out of the rear Elite II?

They're E3s and 18-20K for the rear dependant on 1 or 2 up and how much trailer towing. (Trailer is hard on rears in mountains!) Fronts are running 22K, m/l.

Edited by 1sttenor
Spelling

You should tell the tech to join VentureRiders. He could learn a thing or two! :happy34:

Called them and told them about the snap ring. He said that holds the bearings in place. It does not keep the pins in place. I haven't taken a wheel off or taken pins out, they have and so has freebird. so not sure at this point. :confused07:

Logic would dictate that something holds them in place or they would flop around while riding around town. What that something is, I don't know. Guess the only way to know for sure, is to do it myself. Since I don't have the tools and also am afraid of doing this myself, guess I will have to watch someone else w/ a 2nd gen do it. Maybe a good excuse to ride to Freebird's tech session.

Edited by Sideoftheroad

Did you take OFF a D-404 ? If so, cross section it with a hack saw, see how thick the Carcass is. ?? Take a picture and post.

The carcas on the new E-3 is 1/2 in thick, plus the Tread thickness !!!

Thanks--:stirthepot:

Wonder if you can go to a dealer and see if they have a used one they have recently taken off a bike to see if they will let you cut it and take a picture?

Called them and told them about the snap ring. He said that holds the bearings in place. It does not keep the pins in place. I haven't taken a wheel off or taken pins out, they have and so has freebird. so not sure at this point. :confused07:

Logic would dictate that something holds them in place or they would flop around while riding around town. What that something is, I don't know. Guess the only way to know for sure, is to do it myself. Since I don't have the tools and also am afraid of doing this myself, guess I will have to watch someone else w/ a 2nd gen do it. Maybe a good excuse to ride to Freebird's tech session.

That mechanic is complete fool. If I was in your shoes right now, I would be VERY worried about my bike (and I am not exaggerating).

The fact is, that snap ring does absolutely nothing except hold the final drive clutch hub in the rear wheel. I doubt if there is any real risk if the snap ring is missing, since the axle nut will ensure the rear end cannot come apart. But the ring missing probably would allow the clutch hub splines to move some where they mate with the drive gear, causing improper wear.

There is absolutely no way to remove the final drive clutch hub from the rear wheel without removing that ring (or breaking something). But even when the ring is off, the clutch hub (pins) usually needs to be pried up with a curved bar to get them out.

Goose

Considering they weren't able to remove the pins on my bike, I am not sure if there is anything for me to worry about. The only thing that dealer has ever done to my bike is change the tires which was last week. Please let me know what you think I need to worry about.

I am worried about the comments they made about one some of the bikes they have changed tires on, the pins very easily just fell out. If it needs a snap ring, then there's an issue IMO.