IGNORED

Final Gear Oil

antney1

2006 Midnight Venture is ready for it's 1,000 mile oil changes. I didn't have a pleasent experience with the dealer so I thought I'd change myself. Engine oil looks simple to do, my question on the gear oil is do I need to remove the saddle bag in order to fill back up

Almost certainly yes. The only way I think you could do it without removing the bag is to have a suction pump designed for filling transmissions and axles where you can suck it out of the bottle and use the flexible hose on the tool to squirt it into the final drive.

But even if you have one of those tools, like I do, why try to use it? The bag comes off with only 4 bolts, and that will make the entire job much easier.:080402gudl_prv:

Goose

• 2 months later...
Guest KitCarson
2006 Midnight Venture is ready for it's 1,000 mile oil changes. I didn't have a pleasent experience with the dealer so I thought I'd change myself. Engine oil looks simple to do, my question on the gear oil is do I need to remove the saddle bag in order to fill back up
No you do not have to remove the rear left saddle bag to fill the rear drive. You will find with a 17 mm socket the drain and fill plugs can easily be removed.......I use a short section of flexible clear tubing like you can get at Lowes or somewhere, stick that over the tapered nose of the fill bottle, run the other end down to the fill hole....lay a rag on the floor to catch the overflow and fill her up.

Oh suction pump would not be good.....the drain plug has a magnet imbedded in it.....designed to collect the small filings from the gears.....it always should be removed and cleaned.

Kit

I change my rear end oil while it's sitting on it's side with just a small drain pan under the hub. It's just a small amount of oil and put bolt back and refill with just a normal small oil can. I don't have to remove the bag and it takes no more than 5 min.

Eddie:322:

Oh suction pump would not be good.....the drain plug has a magnet imbedded in it.....designed to collect the small filings from the gears.....it always should be removed and cleaned.

Kit

It can be drained normally, can use the suction tube to refill it, depending on which method he chooses to use.

I change my rear end oil while it's sitting on it's side with just a small drain pan under the hub. It's just a small amount of oil and put bolt back and refill with just a normal small oil can. I don't have to remove the bag and it takes no more than 5 min.

Eddie:322:

but i want to know , how do you get your bike back up , i know it is easy to get it on its side ???:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::detective::detective::detective:

My two cent from someone that has 2 cents or was that sense/sence?

The first time I chane the gear oil I drained like normal and then used the pump that they use to fill out-board motor lower ends.

But since then I had a brain fart and have decided that the container of hand soap that sits on the sink once cleaned out and drained and let dry will be just the thing to pump the fresh gear lube into that little filler hole in the rear end. (did that come out right?)

Am I the first to think of this or have I finaly lost it big time and now need professional help? :rotf::rotf::rotf: :lightbulb: LOL

Bubber

aka Steve

• 4 weeks later...
No you do not have to remove the rear left saddle bag to fill the rear drive. You will find with a 17 mm socket the drain and fill plugs can easily be removed.......I use a short section of flexible clear tubing like you can get at Lowes or somewhere, stick that over the tapered nose of the fill bottle, run the other end down to the fill hole....lay a rag on the floor to catch the overflow and fill her up.

Kit

When you fill the oil up do you let it run out of the hole to say it is full or is there a correct amount to put in and does the bike have to be straight up and down or on kick stand ok. thanks for any help:confused24:

When you fill the oil up do you let it run out of the hole to say it is full or is there a correct amount to put in and does the bike have to be straight up and down or on kick stand ok. thanks for any help:confused24:

All Bikes - upright on Centerstand or Lifter

on a '83 1Gen, you have to use a Dipstick for correct Fillment

all others, fill it until some Oil runs out the Filler Boring and be done

When I did the change on my '86, I used a big medicine syringe from my wifes horse medicine cabinet. I did ask first, and now it is mine! hahaha

Anyway, any farm store should have these, or any vet. They hold a few ounces and you can fill it with a short section of clear hose on the end. comes with its own case and cap even!

Super easy, and you can put in the exact amount, and it is small enough to get almost anywhere.

I also use it to top off the engine oil since that is hard to get to on the V4 Yamaha also.