IGNORED

Speakers

MAINEAC

Somebody asked me to post a reveiw when I finally upgraded my speakers. sorry I forget who it was... but here it is:

My factory speakers quit comepletely the night before I was to leave for Houston... I'm 40 miles from any Circuit City, Best Buy, WalMart... So Fri morning (leaving day).. I head down to Belfast (7 miles) to see what I can score for new speakers.. Cuz I don't want to ride 2000 miles with no tunes. Belfast has Autozone, VIP Autoparts, and a Odd Lot.. Strike out at Odd Lot and VIP.. Thought I struck out at Autozone but spotted a pair of speakers by the door on the Bargain Table... Pyle PLRL42 4" 140 Watt Electroplated Red Cone Two-Way Speakers for $7.00 marked down from $30.00 .. Went home and installed them.. had to ream out a couple of holes cuz the big magnets hit the speedo housing.

DO NOT BUY THESE!!!!

http://12.41.28.254/pyle/PLRL42.jpg

These Pyles worked great... for about 4 days.. 2 days for the ride to Houston and 2 days while I was there.. pulled the fairing apart to check out the speakers and found the little wire that runs frome the speaker cone to the little connector board had a loose connection on the back of the board.. If I messed with the connector tabs I could get it to work.. They shoulda named these Pyles of sh*t... I hooked the wires directly to the cone wires and put it back together.. they worked... most of the time.

Fast Forward 5 weeks .. Lancaster, PA visiting the folks.. Pyles not working at all by now.. They quit before I headed north. Tried soldering the back of the connector board... No dice looked online .. found these:

http://www.circuitcity.com/IMAGE/product/detail/plk/EC.PLK.DB401.CN.JPG

Polk 4" Coaxial Loudspeaker (db401)

PLK DB401

• 4” speaker

• 2-way design

• 135W peak power

• Marine certified

I paid $80.00 for 2... Circuit City has them for $60.00 now with the 2nd pair for 1/2 price... These speakers sound great and are much better made than the Pyles.. I highly reccommend them.. Now I need to get 2 more for the back.. the magnets are small so I think they'll fit.

You are right about the Pyle.

I bought an amplifier off Ebay that is small and fits right in the faring.

But it's a Pyle of s*** also. In fact I think the volume was lower with the amp installed, more like a big resister. Cheap though, $25.

Jerry

• 4 weeks later...

Most speakers produced are marine grade as the major difference is paper cone vers neoprine or poly the stock speakers on my bike were paper cones I swapped them with some Rockford fosgate speakers we had in the shop. I highly recomend a new cdplayer as well as it realy helps with the sound quality and tuning of the sound. these 4" speakers just dont do base notes so its nice to be able to filter out the lower frequencies.