IGNORED

Gas mileage...

Guest Jimesaj

Guest Jimesaj

yeeeeeeehhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! I cut my stock windshield down 3 inches and my mileage went up from an average of 40 to an average of 43.5 MPG...a benefit I was even thinking about : ) this is on the same identical ride to and from work I make everyday...same conditions, same speeds...I feel a little bit of a disturbance high on my head but it is actually helping me keep cooler, and I feel much less wind pushing me where I don't want to be or holding me where I don't want to be...I still look through the top inch or so of the windshield but I can now wipe the fog off when I need to or sit up in the saddle and see over it...I hesitated for a long time doing this but I am sure am glad I made that cut...

Guest JGorom
How did you cut the windshield? :think:

I'll let Jimesaj give you more info on how he did it and from what instructions...but I have seen several articles online that tell you how to do this.

Most riders cut the stock windshield down to the point that they can see an inch or two over the shield. This increases visbility, especially in the rain (once your moving), and still affords you adequate wind protection due to the sweep of the shield pushing the wind over your head. Some bikes have the best solution by allowing the stock windshield to move up or down depending on the situation. Fixed windshields, like the Venture, do not and are a one size fits all application, thus many cut the shield down for a better personal fit. It also saves you $ by not buying multiple shields.

Hey Yamaha...its time for an adjustable windshield...manual or electric...but it's time nevertheless...one size does not fit all!

How did you cut the windshield? :think:Why did you choose this method over getting a new windshield? :think:Just wondering because I am thinking of replacing my stock windshield.

nathan,

here is a link that might help. i have cut all my windshields. anything more than 10 in. is too much for me (lol).

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1063

Guest Jimesaj

I put this post up for someone like you...someone thinking about buying a new shield or wait should I cut it down...will it work???? I also was ready to order a clearview windshield for around 200.00 and decided to take a chance on making this stock shield fit me better...and I am glad I did...time will tell more but I think I just saved myself 200.00...I just took a tape measure and measured three inches down from the upper edge and made a mark with a marking pen in many spots...then used some thin painter tape(low stick) and connected all the dots...then used a cutting wheel on my dremel grinder to cut the three inches off...then used a file and some heavy grit sandpaper on a block to finish the edge...but I haven't finished it yet...I still may take another inch off...I am giving it time to see if this is where I want it...another advantage to ordering a new shield...I can cut it off one step at a time till I get it absolutely perfect for me...and it really did make a difference in the way the bike handles and the gas mileage is really better...I did NOT have a tail wind and have had two tanks through with the better MPG...in fact I did a lot of riding into the wind...35 knot wind. I think anyone reading this should try just cutting down before purchasing a new shield...I also wax my shield so the rain rolls off real well and the shield actually looks cleaner and is easier to see through after waxing with regular old car wax...I use Meguiars...on everything I wax...have a great Friday everyone and ride safe...ah hell ride anyway you want : )

I bought the shorter Showchrome shield and like the extra width and light tint but it is actually a little too short for me as I get buffeting on my helmet above 75mph. It messes with my vision a little. Although I DO like the extra width of the Showchrome, I would go back to the stock width if I could get my stock shield cut down. I don't have the proper tools to do it. Anybody here want to tackle this for me? I'll gladly pay!!

I also cut mine down a few months ago and glad I did it. I used a similar method as Jimesaj as far as marking and taping is concerned but I used a jig saw with a fine tooth blade (metal blade works great) to make the cut. I first removed 5 inches and found it still too tall so I repeated the prosess again for another inch. I now look about 1 1/2" below the top and through the shield and I can sit up some and look over top in rain or fog.

Cheers