IGNORED

Electrical system gone whacko

Hi all

Got something really weird going on with my '02 RSV. A couple weeks ago the audio cassette/radio stated cutting out at higher volumes, but seemed fine at 9 or below. The whole display would cycle on/off like a circuit breaker was being tripped. Still trying to figure this out when the other day after a short ride I restarted it and the oil and temp warning light come on but dim. Pulled over to check it out and seemed fine so went to restart and here's where it gets wild. Turned the switch to on and the starter kicks in on its own and starts the bike! Shut her off and tryed it again and now stater won't kick in with the switch. Fooled around a while and bike starts on its own again, so rode home a few miles. Repeatedly self started in the garage, audio won't play on acc but does on "on", oil/temp lights get brighter when clutch is let out, no response on the starter switch now. Once while checking out the audio menu on acc, the starter just starts cranking her over and wouldn't stop until switched to "on" and the bike started. No blown fuses, engine warning light not blinking as manual says if an electrical fault. Checked continuity on the main switch, ok. Any ideas whats up here? Demonic possession? Help!

Once while checking out the audio menu on acc, the starter just starts cranking her over and wouldn't stop until switched to "on" and the bike started. No blown fuses, engine warning light not blinking as manual says if an electrical fault. Checked continuity on the main switch, ok. Any ideas whats up here? Demonic possession? Help!

I'm no electrical genious, and don't do demons, but I'd take a look at the starter solenoid being bad???

I'm no electrical genious, and don't do demons, but I'd take a look at the starter solenoid being bad???

Been thinking its a short in the starter system. Solenoid seems to kick in fine and doesn't stick. Can't figure how it can bypass the starter switch and what could make it activate when the main is simply turned to on. It's not self starting now, but won't even click with the sarter switch. I'm a dope with electrical. Thanks

Been thinking its a short in the starter system. Solenoid seems to kick in fine and doesn't stick. Can't figure how it can bypass the starter switch and what could make it activate when the main is simply turned to on. It's not self starting now, but won't even click with the sarter switch. I'm a dope with electrical. Thanks

Could be a short in your ignition switch.. A few members have had to mess with theirs lately......

Haven't had a real runin with demons lately, but if you're selling I ain't buying.:whistling:

I would think ignition switch as well as the 'demon' seems to be centrally located. Don't know how 2nd gens are put together, but off hand I would pull the plug on the back of the switch and use a jumper in the plug to see if things will happen normal like. If they seem normal then I would replace the switch.

i would check both + and - battery cables, at battery, solinoid, and the starter, and the point where the - cable connects to engine case.

Find the plug going to the Ignition Switch, Clean the contacts there.

Give the Ignition Switch a bath, with a good electrical contact cleaner.

Not WD-40

But chances are you need a new Ing. switch or Solinoid.